Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800: Is routine cleaning necessary  (Read 588 times)

snowy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
Epson P800: Is routine cleaning necessary
« on: February 25, 2026, 05:57:47 pm »

Hi, My P800, low use, is printing perfectly, Mac OS 15.
I am starting to use a rag paper, and printing more frequently. Does anyone use Epson cleaning sheets, or a liquid to clean the wiper blade? Or, do you just wait until a problem arises?

Thanks,
Sonny
Logged

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1566
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Epson P800: Is routine cleaning necessary
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2026, 06:39:18 pm »

I've got a couple 3880s and used them for years. You run a nozzle check and a cleaning as needed. When they fail, I take them to my repair expert and he get's them back going for me.

I've also have a pair of P800s, both second-hand. Short of an occasional nozzle check and cleaning, there's little that needs to be done so far.

Best thing to do is to keep them covered when not in use and to vacuum or blow out the dust occasionally I've been told by my repair expert.

The P800 is pretty much a 3880 under the hood but with updated inks, electronics and case. Most of the key parts I'm told, are the same as the previous model. The P900 that replaced the P800 is not the same printer in any way.

I just updated my MacOS to Sequoia 15.7.4, and as always happens, I need to go to System Settings, Printers and Scanners, remove the printer, add it back in and do a restart of my system to restore the printer profiles and get my printers back to proper color management and output.

It seems to always need the print drivers to be fixed each time I update the OS.
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

snowy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
Re: Epson P800: Is routine cleaning necessary
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2026, 08:36:54 pm »

Thanks, Larry. That’s what I do: cover, vacuum, nozzle checks, and print.

Seems as if no one is recommending cleaning sheets.
Logged

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1566
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Epson P800: Is routine cleaning necessary
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2026, 10:58:40 pm »

I still find an occasional cleaning sheet but it's been years since I've had an Epson printer that used them, maybe the Epson 2200 or something before then like the 740 or 1260 printers from the 1990s.

My oldest printers in use are my 3880 and 9900 and neither mentioned the need for cleaning sheets in the documentation.
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Epson P800: Is routine cleaning necessary
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2026, 06:25:47 pm »

I do regular nozzle checks every 2-3 weeks on my 3880 and occasionally it'll then go into a cleaning cycle. It's always covered when not in use. It's served me well and earned its keep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up