Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 & Bridge  (Read 1184 times)

johnhennessy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
Windows 10 & Bridge
« on: January 23, 2026, 12:08:15 am »

My old laptop has Windows 10 and it can't be updated. Now Bridge won't allow me to edit raw files although it used to. It error message says "camera raw requires GPU acceleration to edit photos." I suspect that I need to revert to an older version of Bridge. But if that's true, how do I know which version and how do I find it?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Logged

mcbroomf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1627
    • Mike Broomfield
Re: Windows 10 & Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2026, 05:23:16 am »

Open the Creative Cloud app and look at your installed apps.  When your cursor hovers over Bridge you should see a 3 dot ... icon show up, with More Actions displayed.  If you click on that there will be 5 options, the 4th being Other Versions.  Select that and a list of current, then older versions will show up, and Install alongside each one.  No idea which might solve your problem though but I would start with 1 version older unless someone else knows.

I have an older version of Bridge and could not see it, but check your Preferences to see if there is an option to turn the GPU on/off

Logged

Redcrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 544
Re: Windows 10 & Bridge
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2026, 05:14:56 pm »

Bridge does not edit raw files. It calls Camera Raw to edit raw files. There is a stand alone "Camera Raw.8bi" file on your system. Look for older versions of that and simply replace the one you have. Maybe Archive.org? Or just Google "where to get old versions of adobe camera raw." Keep going backwards until you find one that works.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Windows 10 & Bridge
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2026, 06:17:44 pm »

As correctly outlined, Bridge doesn't do squat with raws; it's all Adobe Camera Raw. Check this URL for the minimum requirements for a modern version of Adobe Camera Raw (Graphics card (GPU) requirements):
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/system-requirements.html
and
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

johnhennessy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
Re: Windows 10 & Bridge
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2026, 06:26:58 pm »

Is there an older  adobe camera raw.exe file I should look for? On my old laptop I can find nothing like that. The oldest Bridge update I can find is 15.0.0 but that does not solve the problem. Obvously I could get a new laptop but I only want to use it these days for an occasional class. Windows won't find "Camera Raw.8bi" either but next I'll try googling "where to get old versions of adobe camera raw."

Thanks.
Logged

Redcrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 544
Re: Windows 10 & Bridge
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2026, 11:29:05 pm »

"Windows won't find "Camera Raw.8bi"?   It's there, has to be. Don't know why Windows can't find it. Should be in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats\

But an unrelated tip -- download and install the "Everything" search tool and quit using Windows search.

https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up