Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: high end compact zoom camera, not mirrorless recomendation  (Read 489 times)

tsinsf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 227

I shoot with a Canon 5dIV and an assortment of L lenses. I am growing weary of carrying around heavy equipment and a tripod, so I am looking for a high end compact non mirrorless camera (I hate ethe digital viewfinder on my 5dIV). I would like at least 5 or6 stops of image stabilzation and plan to buy a zoom with at least 200mm on the long end.since my plan is to shoot without a tripod. The SonyRx100 comes close but only has four stops of IS. Can anyone make some recomendations to me?
Logged

franta

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
Re: high end compact zoom camera, not mirrorless recomendation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2026, 02:01:05 pm »

I do not think a fixed-lens camera that satisfies your requirements exists.
The closest I can think of with (very) good IS and 200mm (equivalent) zoom is the OM System OM-5 with the 12-100 zoom. It has an EVF but so has the Rx100, so I am not sure what the requirement is. It is also a bit of a stretch to call it compact and surely a lot bigger that the Sony.
Logged

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 754
Re: high end compact zoom camera, not mirrorless recomendation
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2026, 02:56:17 am »

I shoot with a Canon 5dIV and an assortment of L lenses. I am growing weary of carrying around heavy equipment and a tripod, so I am looking for a high end compact non mirrorless camera (I hate ethe digital viewfinder on my 5dIV). I would like at least 5 or6 stops of image stabilzation and plan to buy a zoom with at least 200mm on the long end.since my plan is to shoot without a tripod. The SonyRx100 comes close but only has four stops of IS. Can anyone make some recomendations to me?


Ii am not sure you'll find all that you want, but technology has moved on.  The 5DIV was launched in 2016, I understand, and in 10 years there have been many advances.  I was in your situation with my 5DIII, and tried a Fuji.  After two or three years, I made the jump, and Fuji X satisfies my needs,

I now have the X-E5 with the 16-50 and 70-300 zooms, equivalent to 24-75 and 105-450.  They fit in a small Thinktank Mirrorless mover 25i bag with spare batteries and two screw in Hoya polarisers.  This is my standard kit and I am very happy.  I also have the Fuji 35 and 50 f2 lenses which are lovely little ones and I use them for portraits.  I never use a tripod now.  The body is set to auto ISO up to 6400 and if an image is above 1600ISO, denoise in LR works fine.

I do not print above 18"x12", i.e. 20MP at 300dpi, so the  40MP sensor gives crop headroom, and the APSC sensor works for me, as I get good comments about my prints. 

I do not like recommending as we are all different, and I guess one aspect is size in relation to your hands, but I love the smaller lighter setup. 

Good luck in your hunt.

Jonathan
Logged
Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 754
Re: high end compact zoom camera, not mirrorless recomendation
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2026, 04:17:17 am »

Further to my post above, I recently was photographing the architecture and life in the Barbican, a very different urban living area in central London, UK.  Another photographer with me had a Fujifilm GFX100RF.  He was still getting used to it, but is very pleased.  It is not that small, but I was surprised how light it felt.  With 100MP, there is loads of room to crop, but I would not be sure about it for wildlife. 

Jonathan

 
Logged
Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up