Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos?  (Read 51480 times)

Martin Ocando

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • Martin Ocando
Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos?
« on: July 05, 2025, 12:13:21 pm »

I have a few suggestions on style that I'd like to share with him.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2025, 02:31:28 pm by Martin Ocando »
Logged
Martin Ocando
SONY A7R IV, 20-70mm f/4 G, 70-200mm f/4 G OSS II, CZ 35mm f/2.8, TTArtisan 75mm f/2

Martin Ocando

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • Martin Ocando
Re: Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2025, 12:44:58 am »

OK, Jon Swindall. Finally found it on one of the videos.

I don't know if this post will get me kicked out of the forum, but I feel I need to talk. For the sake of Michael's and Kevin's memory, I need to speak up.

Nothing against Jon, but I feel that the quality and overall style of the video could be improved and toned down to make it more consistent with what we used to see from the original owners and content creators.

I feel that the number of views (and comments, if any) the YouTube channel is getting lately is an indication of the overall content and production quality of the videos and reviews. I really cherish not only Michael's but Kevin's charisma and candor, without being way too forced and “Instagram-reel-like".

Other than the latest uploads consisting of pieces of the From Camera To Print And Screen series, which are basically brilliant and a source of knowledge still relevant today, the reviews and unveilings are just bland and uninteresting, providing just soft opinions and "feelings" instead of true research and practical tests.

For example, in the TTArtisan 100mm Macro review you said, and I quote: "You really want sharp, sharp, because a little blurry will just be sad."... Looks to me like searching for words while shooting the video. Writing a script beforehand can help greatly to make a smoother video.

The Leica SL-3S review is just sad. "This camera is for hybrid shooters", okay fair enough, a bit more details would have been good: "This camera is not for those who can't afford the camera"... Seriously?

So my suggestion is to tone down the fake excitement, and please don't say Luminous Landscape Photography. It is plain and simply: "The Luminous Landscape". Period.

Stay luminous? hmm, nope. I truly believe Michael would have never approved that. Also the little tune at the beginning or end. The sun moving into the logo, and the camera shutter sound is enough. And it matches the rest of the content.

You don't really need to do much, just watch the old videos. All the clues are there. I mean, I know things should get modernized and improved, but not if it is going to affect the quality of the content. Especially if you are saying "3 decades of wisdom, one lesson at a time". Quite corny if you ask me.

Hope you take this as constructive criticism, as I said I love the content Michael and Kevin with the help of Chris and Jeff created over the years, and the plethora of contributors this site had over the years, and love seeing the old content coming back, but the new content is far from consistent.
Logged
Martin Ocando
SONY A7R IV, 20-70mm f/4 G, 70-200mm f/4 G OSS II, CZ 35mm f/2.8, TTArtisan 75mm f/2

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25143
Re: Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2025, 10:35:24 am »

Martin,

I don’t look at any reviews here, mainly because I have no interest in buying new gear. I am old, reasonably set in my ways, and realised at a young age that there is a difference between photography and collecting equipment.

I had the proverbial shoestring budget when I started my business in ‘66. It pained me, later, as things gradually improved, to be spending more money getting into where I should have been right at the start. My Nikon F came after two Exaktas, the first one bought whilst still an amateur. In 120 format, I bought a Mamiya TLR to get a 180mm lens for headshots that the old Rollei I’d also brought into the business from amateur days couldn't provide. Then, I managed to buy my first Hasselblad, at the cost of trading in the Rollei (that I later regretted losing), and a while later I was happy to say adios to that damned, clumsy Mamiya and 180mm, for a 150mm for the Hassy. In other words, trading up to where I should have started was more expensive, in the long run, than buying what I wanted in the first place, except that the one thing worse was running up debt.

So, new gear, today as an amateur, makes no sense at all. Nobody gives a flying fig about my photographs anymore, and that’s natural: nobody is paying for them. I suspect that, for the vast majority of LuLa people, the situation regarding their photos is exactly the same as mine - why blow your hard-earned if you don’t need to so do? Trust me: save. You have no idea what expensive shit possibly waits for you tomorrow.

Now, you are unhappy with the current LuLa review style, which as I wrote, I don’t read. However, the thing is, you don’t - and can’t - have Michael’s input anymore; the same holds with Kevin’s: they ain’t here no mo’. Anybody taking over the duties can only do it his or her own way. Trying to ape another’s style is a waste of time and doomed before it begins.

LuLa has gone through several natural changes, most of which I disliked, and I left the place a couple of times for quite long periods. That said, there wasn’t much else around to take its place. Yep, the number of visitors has shrunk remarkably, but there are probably several reasons for that beyond management issues.

Coinciding with the burgeoning world of digital photography, the reader interest in how to use the damned things, which ones to buy, there was, early on, only a one-way paradigm: growth of the site’s traffic. Those days of newness and “how?” have long gone. Camera makers see a steadily shrinking market, not just because of iPhone competition, but because they know full well that all that’s left to do with new gear is to play the numbers game. Remove the megapixel bait, and why would anybody buy another camera when what they already own is probably far more capable than are they as photographers?

That leads on to youtubers and such, influencers and similar, some better informed than others. A pretty face can attract the clicks and lead to making money. Advertising money goes to those places now, and you end up with the situation we have today: the virtual death of real camera shops, run by people who knew what they were selling. You have no idea just how unlikely it is that I will buy anything again, sight unseen, from some site that may or may not be a fraud; what photographic equipment I have bought online has only been from a company that I know existed long before the friggin’ Internet.

Another reason that I believe has led to the drop in readership, is the flight of so many professionals. Where the great car shooter, the group of architectural specialists, the advertising and fashion expert? All those skilled guys provided photographs very much worth looking at and pondering. Add to that the dearth of people willing and able to write about photography, and the attractions of LuLa shrink evermore. Frankly, I don’t believe that the interest in photography exists here anymore; I now tend to see it as a place where people just throw in some random holiday snap and hope for the best. Or, perhaps, don’t even care. Photography, in so many senses, is as dead as those rocks and mountains so beloved of the good St Anselm. I don’t think Jon or anyone else can do anything much to change the current status quo. Okay, bring in the dancing girls, that may do it. But hell, there'd be complaints about that too, I guess. ;-)

Christopher Sanderson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2750
Re: Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2025, 12:45:49 pm »

Just as Michael had a distinctive style, so did Kevin Raber - each quite different from the other. They shared a strong passion for photography and for sharing that passion with anyone who cared to watch & listen. Each was absolutely true to themselves - of that I am certain. I spent much time recording them and more importantly, enjoyed their friendship. Alas, both are now gone. A new page is turned.

I salute Jon Swindall for taking ownership of the site and being its new spokesman. His style is different - as Kevin's was from Michael's. I believe Jon will be as true to himself as was Michael & was Kevin. Jon's passion for photography and motion is as clear as his predecessors and his respect for the work of both Michael and Kevin is self-evident. May the evolution continue!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2025, 12:49:27 pm by Christopher Sanderson »
Logged

Martin Ocando

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 115
    • Martin Ocando
Re: Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2025, 05:59:02 pm »

Re: Chris.

Chris, you are one of the most amazingly kind persons I have come across. And I couldn't expect less being such a close friend of the fine gentlemen Michael and Kevin.

Your comment aside, which I cherish in a way you have no idea, as I learned most of the photography I know today thanks to Michael, Kevin, and Jeff, I'd love to see LuLa keeping its original quality and being a source of useful content to all photographers. Still, I really hope that Jon keeps what he is doing and takes some clues to adjust his style to match the original content. Evolution is always good, but quality standards shouldn't suffer when embracing evolution.
Logged
Martin Ocando
SONY A7R IV, 20-70mm f/4 G, 70-200mm f/4 G OSS II, CZ 35mm f/2.8, TTArtisan 75mm f/2

swindy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
Re: Who is the current frontman in LuLa YouTube videos?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2025, 10:21:25 am »

Thank you all for the kind words and constructive criticism.  It's daunting to follow in the footsteps of the great communicators and photographers such as Michael, Kevin, and Chris.  I have much respect for LuLa's history.  Thank you for your suggestions - we're trying to adapt to the times and open to suggestions. 

Thank you for bearing with the corny and cringe!  Lol - agreed.  :o

Lula's Goal: to connect like minded people who want to get better at their craft and inspire those to create.   
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up