Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawk  (Read 1058 times)

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Hawk
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:18:28 pm »

Just to say hello, friends!  :D
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: Hawk
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 06:25:26 pm »

Could be a tarantula hawk. They tend to be quite large.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk


Logged

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Hawk
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 03:18:14 am »

HAHAHAHA! '
Where I live Tarantula Hawks don't carry those claws!  ;)
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Hawk
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 06:05:57 am »

Nice, I like the "bird in the landscape" even if it's a tiny element of the image.
Logged
Francois

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Hawk
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:35:23 am »

Thank you Francois. I see it that way too  :)
Logged

Frans Waterlander

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1046
Re: Hawk
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 12:13:30 pm »

Maybe it's just a speck on your sensor? It would be easy to edit it out in PS.
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: Hawk
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 12:49:16 pm »

Maybe it's just a speck on your sensor? It would be easy to edit it out in PS.

or change it to a pair of ducks.
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Hawk
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 12:56:22 pm »

I've tried doing bird-in-flight photography with a long telephoto and it's not easy. Maybe I've been using the wrong lens.
Logged
--
Robert

John Camp

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2171
Re: Hawk
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 02:03:56 pm »

I like the catch-light on the eye.
Logged

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Hawk
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:27:48 pm »

I've tried doing bird-in-flight photography with a long telephoto and it's not easy. Maybe I've been using the wrong lens.
This was a 70mm.
BIF is IMHO something entierly different from landscape.
Autofocus, knowledege about the animals, short SS's, tracking, fast bursts and a lot of luck therewith etc.
That hawk hovering with a 600mm would workbut fast moving birds...
Again just MHO
Logged

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Hawk
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 04:30:53 pm »

Hahaha.
I like your humor, all of you  :D
As for the catchlight, I admit to having helped a little with PS.
Logged

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2553
Re: Hawk
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 06:39:02 pm »

and i thought the background hills (mountain ? ) was the hawk coming over the horizon .... :(
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: Hawk
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 09:08:30 pm »

Taking into account the 70mm lens focal length, the distance between the bird and the camera, and assumed bird flight path straight towards you, we can assume it was a male hawk. They are typically half a meter long with a wingspan of up to one meter. That corresponds to about 0.6mm dot on my screen. A female hawk is usually larger - up to 0.9mm on the screen of the same size. In a case that the hawk was flying across your field of view, then you were lucky to get yourself a nice profile shot of a fully grown female hawk which can grow to 65cm in length with a wingspan up to almost 1.5m.

Logged

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Hawk
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:39:17 am »

Thanks Les.

Actually it is an European Kestrel. I thought anybody would notice because of its colour and the dotted pattern of the plumage . Ha-ha  ;)

I was approaching a group of perched starlings, hoping for them to fly some interesting patterns. They didn't. "Social distancing", I guess :(

The kestrel was hovering, looking for prey. I took the picture and it was gone. Just disappeared. They attain very high speeds when diving.
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: Hawk
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 06:50:56 am »

Kestrels are beautiful birds but they are difficult to photograph at a closer range. In Ontario, we don't have many kestrels left, mainly due to disappearing grasslands.
We do have here quite a few red tailed hawks and some ospreys, and in northern Ontario also some bald and golden eagles.
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Hawk
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 08:45:11 am »

For these kind of photos it is good to have animal Eye AF...
Logged

rabanito

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1587
Re: Hawk
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 09:48:40 am »

For these kind of photos it is good to have animal Eye AF...

I'm usually using "Background AF" ??? :(

 ;)
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up