Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which way to jump?  (Read 1444 times)

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 754
Which way to jump?
« on: April 24, 2020, 05:04:09 pm »

We have a 8 or 9 year old PC running windows 10.  It is starting to show its age and we are starting to think about replacement.  We have a 2019 MacBook Air and run all the usual on both inc Microsoft Office 365 or whatever it is called today.  I also run Lightroom Classic on both and have 2TB Sandisk portable SSDs formatted to run on both.

We will replace with a Mac (don't try to convince me otherwise!!).  The question is do we replace with a MacBook Pro 16" or an iMac with ssd memory, or do we wait.  There are reports that Apple is ditching Intel for chips made by the same company that makes chips for the iPhone so that Apple can have the same OS across iPhone, iPad and Mac.  I know this rumour has been around for ever, but it now seems so be much stronger.

Opinions appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

     
Logged
Jonathan in UK

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 05:36:56 pm »

I am a mac user for 30 years...
Don't wait for the upcoming changes- that might take forever ... (and iOS is not preferable )
buy an imac if you want a desktop or the macbook pro if you want to carry it around.
You can also buy a laptop and connect it to a larger screen .... uses it as a desktop.
Logged

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:07:39 pm »

Buy what you need at the time of the need. Don't bother waiting for what we call "vaporware..."

I've been on the Mac platform since 1984 and the grass always seems greener on the other side, the next announcement, next year...

A friend always would seem to get a new machine about 2-3 months before the newest, fastest, best machine out there. He bitched, moaned, wrung his hands. He always had remorse and would ask me if he should sell what he had and take the loss or what... I would always advise him to turn off the TV (stop looking at the type) and both learn the software and use what he had. Spend the time productively and learn the process down to the nuance! Once you know how it works, then in a couple of years you could take a look to see if the hardware was that much better.

I'm using a 2009-vintage machine now, maxed-out with ram and SSDs, a beefed-up video card and processor. I/O can be slow since the architecture is more than a decade old but I'm only one OS behind the newest and it's both working fine as is the software. It's fast enough for me and does what I need.

Whatever you get today will be perfectly fine for several years in spite of the rumors. Even if Apple goes to the next hardware platform, I wouldn't worry too much. I've now been through at least 3-4 changes in processor architecture and with the exception of a few programs that have eventually been orphaned, I'm still getting work done.

With today's machines, you'll certainly be a step or two beyond me and I plan on using the system I have for another few years. Your system will go even further and no mater which you have, your speed will probably run circles around my "antique" system!

Bottom line, just do it!
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BobShaw

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2272
    • Aspiration Images
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 12:26:21 am »

The question is do we replace with a MacBook Pro 16" or an iMac with ssd memory, or do we wait.

Jonathan
The first part depends on what you need. Do you need a desktop or a laptop?
Personally I have a 13" Mac Book Air with 8GB RAM that I use for all of my off site functions, like travelling and tethering at shoots.
It is small, light and fits into any bag and also has all of the ports I need.
At home I have a 27" iMac with another 24" screen. I would never dream of editing on a laptop. My eyes are not great either.

I have heard great reports about the 16" but to me it is too big for a laptop and too small for a desktop.

The second part - do I wait? I usually buy whatever is available at the time I need it. Otherwise you never actually buy one.
If there is an announcement of a new wiz bang machine then that is usually a great time to buy last years model at a huge discount.
Logged
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 754
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 02:56:37 am »

Thanks for the comments.  Given that one use is Lightroom, a bigger screen is probably better.  That means a desktop as I do not want a second screen to go with a laptop.  It is just that the technology in a MacBook Pro is newer than in an iMac.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Logged
Jonathan in UK

Joe Towner

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1380
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 03:17:54 pm »

Don't worry about the 9th/10th/11th gen Intel Core comparison between Mac models - if you're purchasing now there's availability issues on the latest greatest & I have no issue saying last years model at a discount is a great option.

Rumors of Apple using their own chips isn't that big a deal, the push to the 64bit apps that are required* for 10.15 was partially to make the porting to other platforms easier.

-Joe
Logged
t: @PNWMF

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:06:28 am »

Thanks for the comments.  Given that one use is Lightroom, a bigger screen is probably better.  That means a desktop as I do not want a second screen to go with a laptop.  It is just that the technology in a MacBook Pro is newer than in an iMac.

Don't underestimate the utility of a second screen. Even with LR and PS, with my main screen a 27" iMac Pro, it comes in very handy.

Jeremy
Logged

Benny Profane

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 370
Re: Which way to jump?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:52 am »

We have a 8 or 9 year old PC running windows 10.  It is starting to show its age and we are starting to think about replacement.  We have a 2019 MacBook Air and run all the usual on both inc Microsoft Office 365 or whatever it is called today.  I also run Lightroom Classic on both and have 2TB Sandisk portable SSDs formatted to run on both.

We will replace with a Mac (don't try to convince me otherwise!!).  The question is do we replace with a MacBook Pro 16" or an iMac with ssd memory, or do we wait.  There are reports that Apple is ditching Intel for chips made by the same company that makes chips for the iPhone so that Apple can have the same OS across iPhone, iPad and Mac.  I know this rumour has been around for ever, but it now seems so be much stronger.

Opinions appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

   

No way Mac is using the iPhone IOS over all platforms. If they do, I'm gone. What a crappy operating system.

But, yeah, I was ready to buy a new (used) Mac until I read about the move to a new chip, so now I'm waiting.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up