Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z5200 driver questions  (Read 1525 times)

Nora_nor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 169
HP z5200 driver questions
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:06:20 am »

I am visiting my sister and she has a new to us HP z5200 44in PS printer. The z2100 we used to use has probably a disintegrated belt and broken bracket for the printheads (I found lots of info on these problems online, and am thankful that people posted that)
For us all the choices in the menu on the printer are confusing, and the new driver for Mac from HP from Sept 3 2018 does not give us the ABW dialogue.
On the HP website it does say there is no color adjustment in black and white modus, so it looks like it has been taken away. That is bad, since we print often black and white on hahnemühle rag fine art paper.
I downloaded the PS driver.
The HP printing utility does have contact with the printer, that looks familiar.
I have not tried the raster driver, I remember I used the raster driver for the z2100.
I print from Lightroom.
Question:
Is there already a good webpage that explains the menu on the printer, and the driver, and which driver to use?
Anybody here that uses that printer and can help me?
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: HP z5200 driver questions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:34:21 am »

Several here that are experts on the z series printers with the most prominent being Mark Lindquist.
I am sure he will check in if he sees this.
In the mean time one of his websites has just about anything you might want to know about the z series.
His z3200 website may help you.
www.z3200.com

Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

Nora_nor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 169
Re: HP z5200 driver questions
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:15 am »

Thank you for answering. Yes, that website has been helpful.
I have started reading the manual for the printer (did not get the paper version with the printer)
All those choices on the menu on the printer are a bit confusing, must be for random office people without Photoshop or Lightroom who print image files prepared by someone else. Hence the choice of sRGB or Adobe RGB or even more choices , plus the top one  in Select RGB source profile , the top one says none. The printer driver says AdobeRGB.....and in Lightroom I am used to turn off the printer´s color management . Does that mean "none"

...it took several trys to find the HP print utility.....here I did find it https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-z5200-photo-printer/4122732
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:44:37 am by Nora_nor »
Logged

Mark Lindquist

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1600
  • it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP z5200 driver questions
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:09:23 pm »

The Z5200ps is a completely different animal than the Z3200ps:
The HP DesignJet Z5200 PS Printer is a production machine, built for production poster printing."

The following links may help you:

COLOR MANAGEMENT OPTIONS

HP Designjet Z5200ps Photo Printer - Paper presets

Good luck -
Mark
Logged
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Nora_nor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 169
Re: HP z5200 driver questions
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 04:19:45 pm »

Thank You!
Can we just print pdf from Acrobat or Preview?
Next question: I saw no oms file for z5200 at the Hahnemühle site. There are z2100 and other oms files there, and since the z5200 uses the same inks, is the .oms file for z2100 useable for 5200?

We downloaded at least three different drivers on three different Macs, and one Mac´s printer driver has the option to print black and white with full set of inks, but not the other MacBook Pro
We are gonna try to print on a luster paper next
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up