Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?  (Read 1732 times)

rodrigogil76

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »

I have already purchased replacements for grey and photo black, in my experience with a previous printer those were the first ones to go out.  Anyone knows of the other colors that I should expect to replace the soonest? I know it varies, but since I cannot buy the 10 remaining ones and I need backups I have to pick the next 2 ones...

Thanks,
 

Logged

Ryan Mack

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 342
    • Ryan Mack on Facebook
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:58:26 pm »

Chroma optimizer if you print on gloss or luster paper, especially if you enable “overall” image coverage.
Logged

Dan Wells

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1044
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:05:47 am »

My first two to go (the only inks I've changed so far, after about 130 feet of 24" wide printing) were chroma optimizer and photo black. The next three (on the yellow warning state on the front panel for a while, but Canon's yellow warning comes with a ton of ink left) are gray, photo gray and yellow. Just this morning, blue, photo magenta and cyan joined the warning parade, but those have another 100 feet of printing left, maybe more... A lot of the initial cartridges goes into the lines and sub-tanks during setup (not that much is wasted into the maintenance tank, but a lot ends up filling things) - replacement cartridges should last at least twice as long, maybe three times.

Dan
Logged

virojarvi

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
    • www.virojarvi.com
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:35:44 am »

I have used practically equal amounts of Matte Black, Photo Black and Gray. Next are Cyan, Photo Gray, Chroma Optimizer and Yellow.

Timo
Logged

rickk

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:24:59 pm »

... Canon's yellow warning comes with a ton of ink left ...
So, just how conservative is the low-ink warning?   I finally got everything set up this morning, printed a 12x20" test image, and BANG: there's a "notice" of low level of black ink. I realize that a significant quantity of ink is used in filling the plumbing, but that warning seemed more than a little premature. Any guidance on when to start investing in more ink would be appreciated.

Also, do the Canon cartridges "expire" rather quickly like those did for a HP Z3100?

Thanks,  Rick
Logged

rodrigogil76

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:35:40 pm »

So, just how conservative is the low-ink warning?   I finally got everything set up this morning, printed a 12x20" test image, and BANG: there's a "notice" of low level of black ink. I realize that a significant quantity of ink is used in filling the plumbing, but that warning seemed more than a little premature. Any guidance on when to start investing in more ink would be appreciated.

Also, do the Canon cartridges "expire" rather quickly like those did for a HP Z3100?

Thanks,  Rick

In my little experience it is very conservative. I got scared when I saw the first warnings (photo black and grey) and then the printer did an auto cleaning and all the other cartridges turned on the warning sign, but I have been printing a lot.
Logged

Panagiotis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 450
    • Fine Art Print
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 02:20:59 am »

In my little experience it is very conservative. I got scared when I saw the first warnings (photo black and grey) and then the printer did an auto cleaning and all the other cartridges turned on the warning sign, but I have been printing a lot.

There is something about this in the latest firmware 2.01 posted a few days ago. In the details it says:
".......
4. Correction of the display timing of the indication for low ink level, "!".
........"
Logged

Dan Wells

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1044
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 10:28:32 am »

Very conservative - I got the first warning at about 30 feet of 24" prints (chroma optimizer), printed another 70 feet (more than a full roll), before changing that cartridge. Two more have now gone by 150 feet of paper. Remember that the first cartridges go more than half to filling the lines and sub-tanks (you eventually use that ink - not all that much winds up in the maintenance tank).

Of course, I'm nowhere CLOSE to changing any cartridge a second time, so I don't know what the setup to non-setup cartridge ratio will be, but my best guess is that it's something like 2:1 or 3:1 (from previous Canon printers), meaning that the fastest cartridges to run out will use a 160 ml cartridge in about 200 to 300 feet of paper. The slowest cartridges will be closer to 1000 feet. If the average is 600 feet (12 rolls), the ink runs $2 per foot of 24" printing (if bought in the smallest cartridges, which I'd recommend to individual photographers unless you print a LOT - shops that print hundreds of feet a month can save some money (1/3 or so) by using the 700 ml cartridges.
Logged

rickk

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
Re: Canon prograf 2000 Ink replacemnt order?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »

Thank you all very much for that information. It is a big help. Now, to check into that firmware update ...

Regards,  Rick
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up