Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Archival or non archival  (Read 1343 times)

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Archival or non archival
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:30 am »

What does this actually mean?

I am starting to get more requests for prints from local artists who are asking for quality for sale to collectors, and words like "archival" and "museum grade" get thrown around a lot.

I'm trying to do my homework on what papers offer such a moniker, and I'm starting to get a little bogged down (especially when inundated with marketing guff from each paper manufacturer who claim "highest or unsurpassed quality and longevity" etc

I was under the initial impression, that if I looked for acid and OBA free, I'd be off to a good start, but that cant just be it surely. As a bunch of Hahnemühle papers listed as archival have low to moderate OBA content

Can anyone suggest some resources for me to research please?  I would like to offer some quality papers for the artists which arent just the super expensive Hahnemühle options.

Incidentally I am printing on an HP Z3100

thanks
Logged

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Archival or non archival
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:03:55 am »

You would want to check the technical descriptions of the paper to ascertain whether they are acid-free, lignin-free, OBA/FBA free, and meet ISO standard 9706 (which by the way is not a sufficient standard for every relevant aspect of print longevity). It is especially ideal if the paper has been tested by and the test reports available from Wilhelm-Research and Aardenburg Imaging.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Archival or non archival
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:09 am »

Some people like the feel of cotton rag paper as opposed to alpha-cellulose despite the fact that both can be lignin free.  You don't say what model of printer you are using.  We know with the older Epson printers Yellow is weakest of the inksets and with some papers there is a quicker loss of color which can have an impact.  Also, a choice between matte and gloss surface is important to some.  Almost every paper manufacturer has good high quality papers in their line of offerings.  You will get a variety of opinions from folks on LuLa regarding what their favorites are.  Right now I print on Moab Entrada and Somerset Museum Rag (both matte); Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth and Bamboo (matte) and Museo Silver Rag (gloss).
Logged

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Re: Archival or non archival
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 12:04:16 pm »

Some people like the feel of cotton rag paper as opposed to alpha-cellulose despite the fact that both can be lignin free.  You don't say what model of printer you are using.  We know with the older Epson printers Yellow is weakest of the inksets and with some papers there is a quicker loss of color which can have an impact.  Also, a choice between matte and gloss surface is important to some.  Almost every paper manufacturer has good high quality papers in their line of offerings.  You will get a variety of opinions from folks on LuLa regarding what their favorites are.  Right now I print on Moab Entrada and Somerset Museum Rag (both matte); Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth and Bamboo (matte) and Museo Silver Rag (gloss).

I do ;)

I have an HP Z3100
Logged

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Archival or non archival
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:33:12 pm »

I do ;)

I have an HP Z3100
My bad for not reading carefully!!! ;)
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up