Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)  (Read 853 times)

chuckn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 296
Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:02:51 pm »

Took this on a trip to the Maze last fall. Not sure about the composition of this photo. Comments???

Chuck
Logged

MattBurt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4132
  • Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:21:19 am »

Nice scene but I think there is too much foreground which is less interesting than the other elements. How about framing the island with that curve of foreground rock like this?
Logged
-MattB

Diego Pigozzo

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 663
Re: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 06:51:50 am »

I like it very much, very very much.
IMHO the original shot is more "complete" of the crop proposed by MattBurt, it gives me more of the sense of wonder I would certainty feel if I was there.
Logged
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 09:19:08 am »

I favor the framing in the original also, and I continue to be very impressed by your bw processing.
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 01:44:13 pm »

IMHO, I think a 1:2 AR would work better to de-emphasize the somewhat plain foreground and better isolate the subject. Don't know if it would have been possible to shoot from a lower vantage point to see if you could get the rim of the "island" to break the horizontal more. I do like the PP as well. Thanks for posting, Chuck.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 01:59:25 pm »

I like Mattburt's crop, except that I think he took too much off the right. I would keep all of the rock at the right end of the foreground sweep, which would leave the "island" a little left of center, but That's how I would crop it.

In other words, I think a little off the bottom and a little off the right would strengthen it, but it's nice as is.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Anderson Bottom (canyonlands)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 02:32:26 pm »

I like Mattburt's crop, except that I think he took too much off the right. I would keep all of the rock at the right end of the foreground sweep, which would leave the "island" a little left of center, but That's how I would crop it.

In other words, I think a little off the bottom and a little off the right would strengthen it, but it's nice as is.
That works too! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up