Those quotes you posted, Gulag, are cherry picked out of Buffet's contextual flow that misplaced emphasis and changed the meaning of what Buffet said.
I watched the video and I believe Buffet's statement of sending low skilled labor not making above the poverty line to Afghanistan is a misinterpretation from interrupted contextual flow of his main point that something needs to be done for these people (instead of raising the minimum wage) whose skill sets don't allow them to fit within a fast paced, high tech, market economy OR ELSE THEY END UP GOING TO AFGHANISTAN as an inevitable alternative to improve their standard of living. Only he says it in an exasperated manner by changing 'they' to 'we'. IOW no matter what low wage earners do all they have left is to take the military route to get ahead.
Buffet...
"We've got to do something for them. We have the resources".
The level of misinterpretation by the site hosting that Buffet/Bloomberg video interview is akin to speaking another language, a language developed by someone with a skill set that makes them unfit and of low character to serve in Afghanistan.
And I've been a poor person (below the poverty line) all my life and now living at the poverty line. The standard of living I have now is leaps and bounds better than when I had growing up with my 3 siblings back in the '60's & '70's with my dad working as a frac truck driver for Halliburton in Texas.
Strangely or surprisingly to get this raised standard of living I had to stop working for and with A-holes.