Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ricoh GR Digital - noise flaw  (Read 3537 times)

pizzahut88

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Ricoh GR Digital - noise flaw
« on: March 01, 2006, 04:22:16 pm »

I have recently discovered a flaw with my GR Digital.

That is with exposore that is equal to or more than 1 second,
a noise removal program kicks in to remove grains.
The noise removal is too excessive, and destroys a lot of details.
see below:

(i) thus you will notice, as long as exposure time does not exceed 1 second, a greater amount of details will be preserved, the results is the same for ISO64, 100, 200, 400.

(ii) exposure starting from 1 second and onward, will lose a huge amount of details due to NR filter.

(iii) I think Ricoh should release to new firmware to address this issue. The GR lens is excellent, but this excessive filter surely ruins this camera.

Please see attachement for further verification.

Don't you agree?
I think we should petition Ricoh for a new firmware to address this issue.


Manfred
Logged

Gabe

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
Ricoh GR Digital - noise flaw
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 06:07:12 pm »

Quote
Don't you agree?
I think we should petition Ricoh for a new firmware to address this issue.
Manfred
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59318\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


YUCK! I agree! (although I don't own one)
Logged

Quentin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1224
    • Quentin on Facebook
Ricoh GR Digital - noise flaw
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:51:46 pm »

Is this with jpegs or with raw files?  I assume if you shoot raw you can avoid the excessive NR.

Quentin
Logged
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrator

pizzahut88

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Ricoh GR Digital - noise flaw
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »

Nope, I thought the same too, that shooting raw would avoid the problem.
It won't.

Here's another gif I just made tonight showing the problem.
Also I've tested every single option, tweaking every setting.
The blur just won't go away.

The samples were taken at ISO 64, and every in-camera image parameters set to 'Normal'.

I am so disappointed . . .

Quote
Is this with jpegs or with raw files?  I assume if you shoot raw you can avoid the excessive NR.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up