Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Paper for Portrait Photography  (Read 2313 times)

CRFTony

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
Best Paper for Portrait Photography
« on: November 29, 2014, 01:43:53 pm »

I know there's no "best" and a lot comes down to individual preference, but I'm seeking opinions on paper for portrait printing.  Some background:

I used a very, very large pro photo lab for years but recently have been extremely underwhelmed with the quality I was receiving.  I bought an Epson 3880 and have been quite happy.  Last week, I order a few prints from the lab as I ran out of one of the magenta inks while printing.  The quality difference was stunning.  I showed my client the lab prints and she was very disappointed.  She loved the prints from the Epson and I've since replaced the ink and will be reprinting for her.  Hearing from a client (who certainly isn't a photography expert) that the difference was dramatic made me decide to do all of my own printing, at least up to the largest size possible.

I've been using Epson Lustre paper and I like it, but I hate that it's so prone to fingerprints.  I would also prefer a thicker paper.  I tried Epson Exhibition but found it prone to scratching, so I don't think it's a good choice for clients who tend to treat their 5x7s and 8x10s like playing cards, shuffling through them, etc.  My photography is mostly high school senior portraits and the vast majority is in color. I like bright, bold colors but also need realistic skin tones. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Logged

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Best Paper for Portrait Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

Ilford Gold Fiber Silk or Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique (they are arguably the same paper, quality wise) should give good results for the purpose you note.  I've printed with both on an Epson 3880 and they give vibrant colors.  Surface dose resist abrasion better than some other papers.
Logged

John Caldwell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 704
Re: Best Paper for Portrait Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »

Agreeing with Alan, you may or may not want more surface texture than the Baryta Photographique offers. Baryta Photographique has been the paper I've used the most, probably close to 1000 13x19 sheets run through our Epson machines. It also looks great laminated, which is my routine for poster-style prints.

In my mind, a slightly pebbled surface can hide finger prints some, and Baryta Photographique does not have any identifiable texture, although it's a satin, rather than gloss, surface. If surface texture appeals to you, consider also trying the Canson Platine. Platine is free of brighteners, and feels better in the hand than Photographique does. Platine is also more expensive than Baryta Photographique. If cost is no concern, I also like the appearance and hand-feel of HFA Photo Rag Pearl, which is quite similar to Platine, but it acts *more expensive*.

Breath Color will probably be reintroducing the Vibrance Baryta in cut sheets. I'd keep an eye out for that product reintroduction, as it is a really nice looking and feeling paper - but it had loads of curl problems that forced the sheets to be withdrawn. It has the big pop you speak of wanting, and also a nice surface.

John Caldwell
Logged

robgo2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 387
    • Robert Goldstein Photography
Re: Best Paper for Portrait Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:48:39 pm »

Ilford Gold Fiber Silk or Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique (they are arguably the same paper, quality wise) should give good results for the purpose you note.  I've printed with both on an Epson 3880 and they give vibrant colors.  Surface dose resist abrasion better than some other papers.

This is curious, as I have found both GFS and Baryta Photographique to be extremely prone to scratching.  Platine is better in that regard, but it has a slightly textured surface, which may or may not be what the OP desires.  I would also suggest trying a good matte paper, such as Epson Hot Press Bright or Hot Press Natural, for a different look in which colors are not quite as vibrant, but the surface virtually disappears.  I love both of those papers for color printing on my 3880.

Rob
Logged

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
Re: Best Paper for Portrait Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:02:00 pm »



I've been using Epson Lustre paper and I like it, but I hate that it's so prone to fingerprints. 
despite the “fingerprint” issue, it’s probably still the best choice, most fingerprint resistant and definitely the most scratch/mar resistant choice.  specifically intended to look like Kodak E surface endura, which your lab is probably providing.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up