Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera  (Read 3922 times)

JV

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1013
Logged

ddolde

  • Guest
Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »

Looks like total junk to me
Logged

RobertJ

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 706
Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:23:53 pm »

Affordable large format camera?  What the heck!?!?

Go to KEH or eBay and get an entire system from Sinar, or Horseman for $500 bucks that would've been worth $10,000 in the 90's.

I bought my entire Horseman 4x5 LS system with bellows, lenses, everything I need to shoot film AND digital, for well under $1,000.  The camera itself was less than $500.

Or buy a NEW Chamonix F1 with asymmetric tilts for $1,000.  It's a beautiful camera.
Logged

JV

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1013
Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:51:41 pm »

Affordable large format camera?  What the heck!?!?

Go to KEH or eBay and get an entire system from Sinar, or Horseman for $500 bucks that would've been worth $10,000 in the 90's.

I bought my entire Horseman 4x5 LS system with bellows, lenses, everything I need to shoot film AND digital, for well under $1,000.  The camera itself was less than $500.

Or buy a NEW Chamonix F1 with asymmetric tilts for $1,000.  It's a beautiful camera.


Well, the guys clearly state that they are looking for an affordable non second hand camera and £129 is still less than $1,000...

I don't shoot large format and most likely never will but I am always glad when I see initiatives like these that aim to keep film and film cameras alive...

Logged

Ken R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 849
Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:53:20 pm »

Affordable large format camera?  What the heck!?!?

Go to KEH or eBay and get an entire system from Sinar, or Horseman for $500 bucks that would've been worth $10,000 in the 90's.

I bought my entire Horseman 4x5 LS system with bellows, lenses, everything I need to shoot film AND digital, for well under $1,000.  The camera itself was less than $500.

Or buy a NEW Chamonix F1 with asymmetric tilts for $1,000.  It's a beautiful camera.


I agree.

The costly part of Large Format is not the gear (if bought used) but the Film, Processing and Scanning.  
Logged

RobertJ

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 706
Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:34:58 am »

Sorry if I came off angry, or I was directing anger towards you, JV.  I'm not, and I wasn't.

If the camera looked at least as nice as a Chamonix, it would be fine.  But there's so much used pro gear out there that's so cheap, in perfect shape, and ready to be used.

You can definitely get a basic Cambo SC series 4x5 for $150, Sinar F for under $200, Toyo G studio cameras for less than $150, and more.
Logged

JV

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1013
Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera - An Affordable Large Format Camera
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:18 pm »

Sorry if I came off angry, or I was directing anger towards you, JV.  I'm not, and I wasn't.

If the camera looked at least as nice as a Chamonix, it would be fine.  But there's so much used pro gear out there that's so cheap, in perfect shape, and ready to be used.

You can definitely get a basic Cambo SC series 4x5 for $150, Sinar F for under $200, Toyo G studio cameras for less than $150, and more.

Robert,

You didn't come off that way at all.  No need to apologize. 

Being not familiar with Large Format gear I am surprised and in a pleasant way that there are many (also new) cheap options.

And I agree with you and Ken that at the end of the ride the few bucks more that you pay for the gear does not matter that much.

Joris.

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up