Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?  (Read 6174 times)

iaent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 40
    • Yogendra Singh Photography
How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »

Guys,
How good is H4D AA Battery Grip? Will it take AA batteries I already have? How many shots does it take with one full charge?
Thx

Joe Towner

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1380
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:24:29 pm »

It doesn't exist.  There is a battery grip that uses CR123A's but I wouldn't suggest it since you're powering a digital back and a body off of it (would work for H1/H2/H4X though).  Someone hacked their battery pack with an AA holder, but they used 3.7v batteries.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/49212-regenerating-your-dead-hasselblad-h-battery-grips.html

If you're in the market for a H4D battery, get the H5 2900mAh model - I get 2x the shots than with the 1850mAh model.  You don't need the special H5 charger, but it will take longer to charge.
Logged
t: @PNWMF

iaent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 40
    • Yogendra Singh Photography
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:31:29 am »

Thx Joe,
How much time will this H5 battery take to charge on H4 charger?

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 03:17:37 am »

It takes about double the time as well. I would not opt for the CR123 grip either. I have in all the years I use HB never used it, I think it is almost utterly useless. Get the H5 batteries, expect them to be empty really soon for the first 20 charges or so, they will last longer after some usage.

In the studio you can also get the powered grip too so you don't need a battery.
Logged

iaent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 40
    • Yogendra Singh Photography
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:46:03 am »

I heard it takes 8-9 hrs fully charging a hasselblad battery. Does it really take that much time?

Douglas Fairbank

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
  • Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 10:41:49 am »

Back when I was servicing these cameras, Lithium battery testing was a regular part of the job and I want to say at this point the batteries are very good, rarely showing less than 80% design capacity even after years of use and sometimes over 100%. Gentle charging will be kinder on them than fast charging, they will last longer as well.
However in theory you could charge the internal cells within one hour but to do this safely the charge would have to be monitored every second and care would have to be taken to avoid temperature runaway. I do recognise the problem that the batteries can get exhausted on a busy shoot but it might be that the best solution is to have spare batteries or a mains power source.
Logged
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

iaent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 40
    • Yogendra Singh Photography
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:03:12 pm »

Is there any chord available to charge the hassy direct from mains? I don't have a mac to charge from firewire. So tell me how much time will it take to charge a H5 battery with H4 charger? I am trying to make it faster. Just wish to seek a straight answer.

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »

You cannot charge a HB battery from firewire. You got some straight answers.

1) You can charge with a H4 charger, it will take longer (several hours but I never took the effort to check exactly how many). Get some spare batteries
2) You can charge with a H5 charger, this will take half the time of the H4 charger (the H5 charger is noisier though)
3) Get a powered grip (only usefull with indoor/studio usage).

I use appr. 2 batteries on a days shooting.
Logged

iaent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 40
    • Yogendra Singh Photography
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »

Now we are talking,

I am searching power grip.

How many shots u thing u shoot with these 2 batteries? Is that without a firewire connection?

Dustbak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2442
    • Pepperanddust
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 12:46:02 pm »

That is on my H5D which uses more power. I take about 1200 shots, camera is on firewire but the H5 does not draw power from the firewire cable. For a H4 I would get 3 batteries and you will be fine. You can get a power grip from any dealer.
Logged

Joe Towner

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1380
Re: How good is Hasselblad H4D AA Battery Grip?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 12:52:56 am »

It may take 8 hours to charge a H5 battery with a H4 plug, but your use many vary.  It depends on shooting style, and how many shots you're going to take.  I've got 3 H4 batteries, and based on experience, I am adding 1-2 of the H5 batteries this year.  On average I can do 150-200 shots per H5 battery, but can do more than 250 with the H5 battery.  Since I already have 3 batteries, I grabbed a H5 charger so I can have 2 charging at the same time.  Toss in my Canon chargers and I've got a full power strip anytime I travel.

If you're going to be in-studio mostly, grab the DC power grip (Part Number: 3043350). 
Logged
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up