Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on backlight film  (Read 8221 times)

photodave

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
Printing on backlight film
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:40:34 am »

Hello

Has anyone done any printing on back light film display material.  If so how have you mounted the print?  I got a small sample of this material and printed a couple of proof images on it and the prints look great. I have done some research and found some supplies that sell LED edge lite that can be used to lite up the back of the print but I have no idea how one would mount this so that the print could be framed. 

Thanks

David
Logged

PatrickAllen

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:52:06 am »

Hi David,

Here is a link to how we answered this question. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=64032.0

We use Epson DisplayTrans and face mount it to Plexi using optically clear adhesive. The 1/4" LED panel and the plexi fit into a wood frame that we drill a small hole into for the power supply. I suppose it does not have to be face mounted but instead the print could just be sandwiched between the Plexi and the LED panel and then framed. You could also face mount the print and then clip the plexi and LED panel together with no frame which creates a nice was effect on the wall. We have used both 5300K and 9500K LED panels. I think the 5300K works better for most images but the 9500K does work for some images as well.

Best,
Patrick Allen
www.kenallenstudios.com
www.patrickallenphotography.com
Logged

DotCom Editor

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 66
Can you define 'face mounting?'
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:22 pm »

You adhere the film to the plexi. Got that. Is the printed side facing out, that people can touch and scratch the ink? Or do you print a mirror image which would allow you to adhere the inked side to the plexi, preventing people from touching the ink. I'm just confused -- no surprise there. Haven't tried anything like that before. And what about doing huge prints this way, say a pano that's five or six or seven feet wide? Thanks.
Logged

bill t.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3011
    • http://www.unit16.net
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:03 pm »

This guy makes it look easy.

These guys make it look harder.

Just search "face mount" and/or "fame mount plexi" on good ol' youtube.

There is another much more difficult process that uses a liquid glue, it's called Diasec and requires proprietary chemicals and expensive machines.  Don't even think about it.

Peter Lik, Andreas Gursky.  Facemounters all.  It's kinda popular now, but may go out of style any day.  If you can get a good system going it's one of the easiest and cheapest ways to mount prints, but don't tell.  Downside is that the plex becomes the extremely vulnerable and scratch-prone surface of the print.
Logged

PatrickAllen

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »

I love the video of the guy making it look easy. I had seen that before. I mean the principal is right but you have to be extremely careful to clean everything. One piece of dust and the piece is ruined. We use an optically clear adhesive like shown in the 2 videos. The process itself is not super difficult, it is the cleanliness that you are really fighting for, and in turn paying for.
Logged

ksmyk

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • http://www.ksmyk.com
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:32 am »

What kind of LED panels are you using ? I've tried searching the net for LED panels, but I mostly get some wholesale offers from China. Thanks.
Logged

PatrickAllen

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 51
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »

Ksmyk..I addressed this on the other thread about LED panels here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=64032.0

Best,
Patrick
Logged

ksmyk

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • http://www.ksmyk.com
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:48:04 pm »

Thank you.
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Re: Printing on backlight film
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:51:29 am »

I have no info on technique, but I have seen this: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/wpy/ and the results were stunning.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up