Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 Preview Cache problem  (Read 2278 times)

Jim Pascoe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1131
    • http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
LR4 Preview Cache problem
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:25 am »

I have encountered a problem with LR4 and the preview cache.  It is the second time in a few weeks since installing the new software.  Basically the programme freezes and when I shut it down and try to re-open it I get the message "LR has encountered an error when reading the preview cache and needs to close down" - or similar words.  Last time I ended up binning the preview cache folder and letting LR build a new one.  Because I have many tens of thousands of images this meant I lost all my previews and so every time I go into a set of pictures again that have not been looked at since the problem occurred, I have to wait for LR to re-build basic previews before I can see the adjustments I have already made in the past.

Now it has happened again and I am considering dumping my Previews Folder again.  Any suggestions?

Jim
Logged

madmanchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2115
    • Web
Re: LR4 Preview Cache problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:46 pm »

Hi Jim,

Are you running Lightroom 4.0, or version 4.1 RC (from Adobe Labs)?

Thanks,
Eric
Logged
Eric Chan

Jim Pascoe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1131
    • http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: LR4 Preview Cache problem
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:40:27 am »

Hello Eric

Thanks for your reply - I am still running 4.0. Am I right in thinking I should upgrade to 4.1?

Jim
Logged

Jim Pascoe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1131
    • http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: LR4 Preview Cache problem
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

I have now installed LR 4.1RC and will report back if I have the same issue again.  I did trash the Preview folder, which is a nuisance but not life-threatening!

Jim
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up