Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Long Lens for MF iq180  (Read 2200 times)

Marlyn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 253
What Long Lens for MF iq180
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:06:17 am »

Howdy all,

I'm considering dipping my toes into Technical camera Medium format land.  (ok, so more diving in the deep end).

Looking for some advice on a Long lense.  120-150mm range, for use on a Cambo or Alpa (havn't decided which)  with a MF Back.  (Assume IQ180 or similar)

Any recomendations of which actually work  the best ?
 - Would like it to take tilt if possible, not essential
 - Needs to be able to shift +/- 20mm or so.   Something in the 110+mm image circle range I suspect
 - Best quality given shooting on 80MP back.

Note: I don't have an IQ180, but if I'm buying lenses, I want it to work for the long haul.

Also, is longer than 150 even possible/available ? or best at that point to just use a SLR body, like AFD II ?

Regards

Mark
Logged

dchew

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1020
    • Dave Chew Photography
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 06:41:50 am »

Mark,
Longer than 150 is certainly possible:
Alpa HB lenses

The 120,150,180,210 and 250 are all short barrel lenses meaning you can tilt with the tilt adapter, and all have > 110 image circles.  Most users seem to get the 120 as their longest lens.  I have the 150 and really like it.  In regards to image quality I think you are splitting hairs (literally!) between them all, except for maybe the 250mm which is a different (older) design.  The good news is you can pick the one that matches your favorite perspective and not worry about relative image quality between them.  There is certainly a general consensus that technical cameras show their advantages at wide angles, not so much with telephotos.  But I'm not going to carry two MF cameras into the field, so for me it's all or nothing.  I don't think anyone says the technical telephotos are worse, just not all that much better.

The problem becomes accurate focus with the longer lenses.  Alpa does not make an HPF ring for any of these lenses (although the factory scale on them is not too bad).  Even with live view on the IQ180, I usually focus bracket in the field with the 150, then pick the best one back on the computer.  It is easier for most people to focus the longer telephotos with an SLR body.

I've always liked the 135mm eq. focal length, so a 210mm may be in my future someday, but not until I get better with the 150mm.  It's also almost 9" long, and that's the short barrel, so add 34mm for the adapter.  You can mount the adapter with the back so the lens is not hanging out so much.  That means shifting/tilting the back not the lens which is a different effect.  Not bad (and maybe better), just different.  

Dave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:13:22 am by dchew »
Logged

Marlyn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 253
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 06:48:14 pm »

Thanks Dave.

My reasoning for wanting a long lens on the tech camera is the same. I dont' want to carry two cameras in the field.  It seems easier for sure to just use a normal longer lens on say, 645 AFD II,  but that means carrying it ! 

I am currently looking into the practicalites and price of upgrading to MF with a technical camera for landscape work so I'm sure some more questions to come !.

Any particular specific model of longer lens one that folks would recomend ? 

Regards

Mark.
Logged

theguywitha645d

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 970
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »

I would say it would depend on what you want the long lens for. If for landscapes, then a long lens on a tech camera is a great choice. To photograph moving subjects, not so much.
Logged

Marlyn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 253
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

Fair point, and yes it is for landscapes.

I tend to shoot a LOT with 90mm TS/E on my canon, especially when stitching (though not always), and looking for something similar.  I find my landscapes have become somewhat longer in focal length of late.

Shooting anything moving, well that will be a SLR body,  such as the AFDII and a suitable lens I'd expect.

I notice there is a 300mm for the AFD II actually,  which could be nice in that setup for some wildlife,  but really, I'll stick to 35mm for that I expect. far to addicted to my 800mm lens there. (will see)

Regards

Mark
Logged

dchew

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1020
    • Dave Chew Photography
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »

Any particular specific model of longer lens one that folks would recomend ? 

I think it depends on the camera you go with.  Don't know what Cambo and Arca offers, but Alpa's long end is mostly Schneider, which I think are quite good.  Rodi makes an HR-S 180, but the ic is only 80mm.  Their Apo-Sironar's (150 and 180) have really big ic's, but I have no idea what the quality is like.  Their MTF graphs don't look as good.  You can see all the Rodi's here:
Rodenstock lens pdf

Dave
Logged

marcmccalmont

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1780
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 04:39:36 am »

My backpack was too heavy with my WRS/IQ180 + 3 lenses (40,70 & 105) and the DF camera with Longer lenses so I ended up carrying my 5DII with the 70-200 4.0 and a 1.4xIII instead
Marc
Logged
Marc McCalmont

Graham Welland

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 722
Re: What Long Lens for MF iq180
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »

Like Dave I have a full Alpa landscape kit with my IQ160 that fits in a mid sized camera pack which has everything so that I don't need multiple cameras in the field. I carry 35, 47, 90 & SK 150 lenses and of course the good news is that a 150mm technical camera lens really isn't significantly heavier than any of the other lenses, just longer with a lot of air behind it!

I can't speak to the longer glass but my Schneider APO-Digitar 150/5.6 is a super sharp lens and in my experience is the equal of any of my other glass. The image circle is huge and so I can shift to the limits of my STC without concern and effectively I really don't need to shoot LCCs with it either. I normally use it to shoot distant scenes for isolation and so focus tends to pretty easy and if necessary I'll focus stack with it which removes the focus precision need entirely anyway. I'm only just starting to shoot with T/S with this lens and you have to deal with composition changes with the Alpa T/S adapter for the reasons that Dave cites - it pivots from the base of the lens and not the optical center.

120mm seems to be a popular length and there are macro options. I chose 150mm because I wanted a bigger step up from my 90mm and in reality you're shooting at pretty short telephoto equivalents even at 150mm.
Logged
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up