I have two Coolscan V ED scanners, and other than one minor problem I am happy with their performance scanning Kodachrome. The problem lies in scanning deep shadows – the V ED is seriously lacking in detail, particularly in the red channel. I tested every possibility I can think of to fix this problem (8-bit vs 16-bit; 2000 dpi vs 4000 dpi; Nikon Scan vs Silverfast Vs Vuescan; reversing the slide; ICE on/off; GEM on/off; Gain; focus), but the problem remains in both scanners. I am convinced it is inherent in the V ED.
I have also compared my scans with the same slides scanned with an Epson V700 flat bed, and photographed with a Nikon D700 DSLR. Both the V700 and D700 give superior results in the shadows. The D700 gives results that are so good in the shadows it amazes me.
Because of this V ED shadow problem, I am looking for something better – in particular, the Coolscan 5000 and 9000. Before I buy one of those models though, I must be convinced that they actually do a better job. It won't surprise me if they can't.
I am having a few of my test slides scanned on an Imacon 343, and I'm hoping those scans will form the basis for comparing other scanners. I am also having them scanned on a Coolscan 5000. But I have been unable to find anyone in Australia who uses the 9000. So here I am, looking for someone who owns a Coolscan 9000 who would be prepared to scan a few Kodachrome slides for me. There would be commercial places in the US who could do it, but when postage and minimum handling charges are included, it becomes very expensive; or else they are so cheap I don't trust them to do the best scan possible. I'm hoping some home enthusiast with a 9000 is willing to help me out at a reasonable price.
Here is a rough outline of my requirements:
1. I will post two or three Kodachrome slides to you in an envelope, securely packed between cardboard; and I'll upload my scans of them to Mediafire so they can be download for comparison.
2. You scan them at 4000 dpi, 16-bit, gamma 1.0, with no corrections or profile. I would prefer the scanning to be done using Nikon Scan (I can give you the exact settings I require), because using other software may introduce variables. However, if you are certain that other software will not cause degradation of the scans, then that will be okay. If you have calibrated your scanner with an IT8 target, it would be okay to embed to IT8 profile, but otherwise I would like the scans to be "raw".
3. You post back my slides and upload the scans to a freebie site like Mediafire so I can download them. They will be approximately 100 MB each.
If anyone is interested, please gmail me at gdburns, indicating what you reckon would be fair recompense and how I pay you. Include a phone number and a suitable time I can call, so that this Tasmanian scanning-enthusiast can have a chat.