Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street entertainer  (Read 1706 times)

martin-images

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 49
Street entertainer
« on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:03 pm »

These people can stand so still

Martin

Logged

William Walker

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1204
    • William Walker Landscapes
Re: Street entertainer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:34:01 am »

I am interested to know why no-one has commented on this picture - good or bad?

Is it because, perhaps, to quote Jennifer on the "Hard Life" post, "What we have here is simply a head shot of a person we assume, led by the caption and story of the photographer, ........  I really wouldn't call it street."?

Obviously we do not have the added ethical question in this picture.

If this is simply not a great photograph - not worthy of comment - it then demonstrates what we all already know - even a with a good photographer, not every shot is a winner ;)

William
Logged
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Street entertainer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:05:22 am »

William, First off, Jennifer's right. And this is a portrait of a guy (I think) made up to entertain someone. He doesn't have a particularly interesting face. He's not doing anything particularly interesting and we can't see what his performance is all about. In other words, without the caption there's no there there.

Even with the best photographers very, very few pictures are winners. Even fewer are unforgettable.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

martin-images

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 49
Re: Street entertainer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:27:47 am »

I agree it's not street photography even though he was in the street entertaining, I guess its more of a study, maybe not that interesting, it was the texture of his face and clothing that caught my eye, anyway its just a photo and definitely no master piece  :)

Thanks for commenting

Martin
Logged

James Billett

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • Taunton Wedding Photographer
Re: Street entertainer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:45:56 pm »

It appears to be taken in a studio and as mentioned by others you and as Bruce Gilden says "if you can smell the street through the photograph.. then its street photography".

I do like the pose and the technicalities of the photograph. When I was in Las Ramblas, Barcelona I witnessed many street performers but was without a camera. Next time.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up