I'm planning to make large prints from my H3, and have run into a few issues I hope for some feedback on. My workflow so far is:
1. Shoot at ISO 100 and sometimes 200 based on subject matter.
2. Import as 3f in phocus
3. Major tone and color temp adjustments in Phocus with sharpening and noise reduction turned off and export as 16 bit tiff
4. Open in PS, RAW sharpen about 57-67% using NIK sharpener, minor retouching and compositing
5. Files are a bit small at 300 ppi, so I upsample in one step to 240ppi to create files that are 40 inches on the short side. Some are stiches so long dimension ends up at 80 inches for some files
6. Output sharpener from NIK
7. Print to Epson R2400 (at 100%, cropped for tests. Final prints will be on a 7900)
I'm seeing a bit of noise in the midtone to shadow transitions. NIK recomended using U-point to hold the sharpening off those areas.
So can anyone suggest an improved workflow, or is this more or less the right way to go? What should I be testing in terms of variables?
Are you sharpening and doing NR in Phocus or in external editor?
I'd like to be able to shoot at ISO 200, but shadow noise worries me.