Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Knight: whao!  (Read 3696 times)

fredjeang

  • Guest
Nick Knight: whao!
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:17:29 am »

web page: http://showstudio.com/

I'm talking about Nick Knight: http://www.nickknight.com/main.html

I'm very very impressed by the work to be honest. Both stills and motion.

Another influence to put in my list.

Maybe the ones of you who didn't know him will find this link interesting. There are no rocks.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:05:29 pm by fredjeang »
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25133
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:30 am »

I just want to share with you a british photographer that I discovered (don't laungh, I only knew one particular picture of him)
by accident in this very interesting web page: http://showstudio.com/

I'm talking about Nick Knight: http://www.nickknight.com/main.html

I'm very very impressed by the work to be honest. Both stills and motion.

Another influence to put in my list.

Maybe the ones of you who didn't know him will find this link interesting. There is no rocks.

Cheers.



Okay, Fred, I won't laugh!

I think he's been around, and at the top, for decades, it seems to me: he was very fond of working with Miss Moss and also had a thing about cross-processing transparency film, which I didn't like so much; he was so good doing it normally, so why the need to eff with it, I wonder? Because he could? Maybe. He also did a lot of stuff beyond the confines of fashion. Talent, I think it is called.

;-)

Rob C

JonasYip

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:45:56 pm »

I always loved his stuff from the mid 80s, particularly the stuff for Yohji Yamamoto. Hadn't been keeping up with him though, and was unaware of the showstudio.com site. Thanks for the link...

j
Logged
-
-  Jonas Yip  http://www.

fredjeang

  • Guest
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 03:02:00 pm »

And thanks for the Sylvie session. Really good work in your website.

Actually, I think that those images size or a little more are the correct size to not denaturate the images with copyrights stuff. In the end, I like more and more to see pics small because if they work small, they really work big.
Logged

Alex MacPherson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 292
    • http://alexmacpherson.com
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »

Nick Knight is a legend. Some of the best fashion photographers have apprenticed for him... Craig McDean, Solve Sundsbo, Juergen Teller...(ok maybe he is a bad example..lol)

He has always managed to stay fresh after all these years and is always pushing the edge.
Logged
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

JonasYip

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 41
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:45:09 pm »

And thanks for the Sylvie session. Really good work in your website.

Thanks Fred!
Logged
-
-  Jonas Yip  http://www.

lensi

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:34 pm »

Hi Alex
Interesting you think Juergen is a 'bad example' given He's shooting for (amongst other projects ) Mark Jacobs the last 9 years (award winner Campaign) etc etc - and not you. I'm presuming you don't know he used to shoot 6 x 7 BW and lith print back in the day before backing off and returning reinvented and using the 'snappy' - quite a radical approach back then. His 'eye' is undeniable and if you think his chosen 'quality' or his intensional avoidance of it means He doesn't know a thing or two - then you don't get 'it'. Look again but this time leave the trappings of the conventional and typically predictable to one side.
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25133
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »

Hi Alex
Interesting you think Juergen is a 'bad example' given He's shooting for (amongst other projects ) Mark Jacobs the last 9 years (award winner Campaign) etc etc - and not you. I'm presuming you don't know he used to shoot 6 x 7 BW and lith print back in the day before backing off and returning reinvented and using the 'snappy' - quite a radical approach back then. His 'eye' is undeniable and if you think his chosen 'quality' or his intensional avoidance of it means He doesn't know a thing or two - then you don't get 'it'. Look again but this time leave the trappings of the conventional and typically predictable to one side.


Seen any naked emperors lately? What you don't 'get', often doesn't exist.

Rob C

AndreNapier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 422
    • Andre Napier Photography
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

Well, I think I get Juergen and his uniqueness. I think I understand modern and traditional art and its trends and generally comprehend the concept of real artist being ahead of his time.
I just want to hope that Juergen photography is a good sample of advertising genius base on product recognition and not on its deep artistic values. There is room for one Juergen and one Simon.
Two  Juergens would make it a crowd.

http://Http://AndreNapierStudio.com
Logged

Alex MacPherson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 292
    • http://alexmacpherson.com
Re: Nick Knight: whao!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

... you didn't shoot the Marc Jacobs campaign either so what's your point?

My remark was in jest, as he is known for the snapshot look.. which is not what most people
think of as a great photographer. Perhaps you missed the 'lol' , as I clearly mentioned him
as being among the best... where I could have clearly omitted him.

Your snide remarks are distasteful.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:19:39 pm by Alex MacPherson »
Logged
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website
Pages: [1]   Go Up