Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D3x multiple exposures for HDR  (Read 4682 times)

rethmeier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 795
    • http://www.willemrethmeier.com
D3x multiple exposures for HDR
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »

I have a question:
would there be a benefit to use the Nikon multiple exposure setting to create a HDR image?
Or would it be the same in doing it in post with Photomatix ,APP or CS4?

I guess I could do the test myself,however if somebody has tried it before me,I would like to know.

Regards,
Willem.
Logged
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Jeremy Payne

  • Guest
D3x multiple exposures for HDR
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:27:11 am »

Quote from: rethmeier
I have a question:
would there be a benefit to use the Nikon multiple exposure setting to create a HDR image?
Or would it be the same in doing it in post with Photomatix ,APP or CS4?

I guess I could do the test myself,however if somebody has tried it before me,I would like to know.

Regards,
Willem.
The Nikon in-camera multiple exposure will not produce a 32-bit file like Photomatix and PS.
Logged

SeanBK

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 530
D3x multiple exposures for HDR
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:54:53 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
The Nikon in-camera multiple exposure will not produce a 32-bit file like Photomatix and PS.

 Seems like CS5 may have something to say @ it..... I think,... based on their presentation this morning.
Logged

LKaven

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1060
D3x multiple exposures for HDR
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:44:10 pm »

Quote from: rethmeier
I have a question:
would there be a benefit to use the Nikon multiple exposure setting to create a HDR image?
Or would it be the same in doing it in post with Photomatix ,APP or CS4?

I guess I could do the test myself,however if somebody has tried it before me,I would like to know.

Regards,
Willem.
Eight multiexposures at ISO1600 equals one exposure at ISO200, more or less.  There's no practical advantage.  For the benefits of HDR, use multiple captures, bracketed at +-2EV intervals.

jmvdigital

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 125
    • http://www.jmvdigital.com
D3x multiple exposures for HDR
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »

Quote from: LKaven
Eight multiexposures at ISO1600 equals one exposure at ISO200, more or less.  There's no practical advantage.  For the benefits of HDR, use multiple captures, bracketed at +-2EV intervals.


I'm not sure I follow you here. I realize that dynamic range is more limited at higher ISOs, but it even it drops from 9.0 to 7.0 stops, eight exposures at 1 stop intervals (4 above, 3 below, 1 normal) would yield a far greater EV range coverage than a single frame at 200 ISO. Your file would still be noisier than a 200 ISO shot, but that's not the question here.
Logged
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

LKaven

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1060
D3x multiple exposures for HDR
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 04:16:16 pm »

Quote from: jmvdigital
I'm not sure I follow you here. I realize that dynamic range is more limited at higher ISOs, but it even it drops from 9.0 to 7.0 stops, eight exposures at 1 stop intervals (4 above, 3 below, 1 normal) would yield a far greater EV range coverage than a single frame at 200 ISO. Your file would still be noisier than a 200 ISO shot, but that's not the question here.
It's a little hard to parse the OP's question, but he seems to be talking about in-camera multiple exposure as a way of supposedly expanding dynamic range.  In the Nikon, this would just amount to summing up the values pixel-for-pixel across a number of exposures.  I don't have any intuition about what bracketing would do in that situation, except that I think it'd be hard to avoid blowing out the highlights without seriously underexposing, in which case, I go with my original claim.  I don't think there's any way to crush more than 12 stops into one image this way, the same as you'd get at base ISO.

If the OP is talking about doing orthodox HDR, then you're right of course (though I'd recommend +-2EV bracketing).
Pages: [1]   Go Up