Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100  (Read 15186 times)

iCrop

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • http://
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:43:52 pm »

Sometime around September 2009 my two year old Z3100 would display error code 58:10 on power up.  I checked the Z3100 service manual for the cause of the error and it indicated the problem was with the spectrophotometer that's used to profile and calibrate papers.  Sometimes on the Z3100 you can get error codes on the display and you're told to re-start the printer and when you do so, it doesn't repeat the error.  In this case, each time the printer was re-started, it would display this error code, so I knew it was a persistent problem.  Fortunately, this problem only affects calibrating and profiling papers, not the printing itself.  Having had the printer for 2 years now, I've settled on the papers that I've tried and like, so I don't do any profiling these days.  The prints I get from the printer are as good as they have been since I figured out how to profile correctly, so I ignored the error code until I had time to deal with it, which was the break between Christmas and New Years a few weeks ago.  

According to the service manual, the solution to this error code is to replace the Color Sensor (ESP).  Looking at the diagrams in the service manual, noting that the location of the ESP is on the print head carriage, and the description of how to replace it, it seemed to me that the ESP might only be dirty, and not necessarily need replacing.  Prior to the occurrence of the errors, I had to clean ink off the bottom of the carriage and print heads, due to spotting on prints, so I thought there might be a good chance this was the case.  

Performing a quick search on the Internet one can find the Color Sensor selling for around $340 (USD).  I didn't get an extended warranty with the printer due to the cost.  If I called HP for a service call, I figure it would cost me a couple hundred bucks for the visit and diagnosis.  I've worked on devices more complex than the Z3100, I have the service manual for it and it didn't require any special tools to strip it down to the ESP, so I thought I'd take it apart and see if cleaning it would work.  Worst case: I'd have to call HP and have them put it back together, best case: it would be fixed for just a few hours time and I'd get to see what makes it tick.

Following the steps in the service manual, I took the covers off, tore it down to the endoskeleton, removed the ESP, and it looked relatively clean.  I expected to find it covered with ink, but it had hardly any overspray on it.  I cleaned what appeared to be the sensor with distilled water and a cotton swab and then put it back together.  It took me about 3 hours to take it apart and another 2 and a half to put it back together.  I started it back up and had no error messages and then went through the recommended service calibrations.  I calibrated a couple papers and all seems well after 3 weeks.  Photos of the endoskeleton are below.

The service manual is pretty good.  It appears to be geared around the 44 inch version of the printer, actually a Z2100 (mine is 24 inch Z3100), and there were a couple places where it indicates a screw is a number 15 Torx, but it was really a number 10.  Other than that it was fine.  One caution if you try this yourself, on reassembling the printer, be careful not to over tighten the screws.  Some of the parts are plastic and you can strip holes relatively easily.  I hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Please excuse my mess...
Front
[attachment=19569:__K203369.jpg]

Back
[attachment=19570:__K203359.jpg]

Mike
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:54:38 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I hope all continues to work out for you, as it sounds like you saved quite a bit of money in doing the work yourself.  

Did you find a cover that has been mentioned on LL that protects the sensor from ink overspray?  Without it, I see no way that anybody wouldn't need their sensor cleaned at some point, as there is a tremendous amount of ink that gets over the internals over time.  From your description, it sounds like you might have only had the barest minimum of film buildup.  I wonder how the machine can tell the difference from the variability of ink density it reads when it is a nominal amount of ink on the lens?  I understand how it could tell if something reads well outside the norm, but what about marginal cases (as yours might have been)?
Logged
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:23:37 pm »

Mike,

Your story and photos would make a great addition to the Z3100 wiki.  http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/
Logged
Regards,
Ron

iCrop

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • http://
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Did you find a cover that has been mentioned on LL that protects the sensor from ink overspray?
I think that's the 'shutter' mentioned in the service manual.  The Color Sensor calibration test indicated it was working OK.
Logged

mshowe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:34:45 pm »

Where can i aquire the service manual you are speaking of? i am using a z3200. thank you!
Logged

iCrop

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • http://
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:29:04 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
Mike,

Your story and photos would make a great addition to the Z3100 wiki.  http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/
Hi Ron.  Don't know that I've posted there before, but I'll give it a try and let you know if I have any problems.
Mike
Logged

iCrop

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • http://
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:09 pm »

Quote from: mshowe
Where can i aquire the service manual you are speaking of? i am using a z3200. thank you!
I believe you can find it here: Z2100/Z3100 Service Manual.  I don't know how many parts the Z3200 has in common, but it may be a useful guide.
Logged

Thomas Krüger

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 447
    • http://thomaskrueger.eu
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:54 am »

Thanks a lot for your posting, Mike.

My Z3100 24" displays a 58:11 error for the Color Sensor during the Carriage Assembly Test (page 4-27 service manual), and since the calibration of the sensor is ok and the shutter of the sensor opens I thought also about cleaning the color sensor. With the 58:11 error I can still print but I can't calibrate a paper.

ERROR 58:11
FAIL DeltaE out of limits.
92.000 > 8

Switching off the printer during an operation like changing a printhead you can move the carriage and it should be possible to open the screw of the color sensor without removing all the other parts mentioned in the service manual.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:45:23 am by ThomasK »
Logged

iCrop

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • http://
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:09 am »

Quote from: ThomasK
Thanks a lot for your posting, Mike.

My Z3100 24" displays a 58:11 error for the Color Sensor during the Carriage Assembly Test (page 4-27 service manual), and since the calibration of the sensor is ok and the shutter of the sensor opens I thought also about cleaning the color sensor. With the 58:11 error I can still print but I can't calibrate a paper.

ERROR 58:11
FAIL DeltaE out of limits.
92.000 > 8

Switching off the printer during an operation like changing a printhead you can move the carriage and it should be possible to open the screw of the color sensor without removing all the other parts mentioned in the service manual.
Careful.  There are 2 (two) screws retaining the ESP (see step 17, page 8-113 and 21, page 8-115).  Additionally, removing the ribbon cable for the ESP from the carriage assembly requires removing the "large cover of the carriage PCA", step 15, page 8-113.  There isn't an easy way to do it, other than following all the steps in the manual.
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 05:41:15 pm »

Quote from: iCrop
Hi Ron.  Don't know that I've posted there before, but I'll give it a try and let you know if I have any problems.
Mike

Please let me know of problems.  I'll try to quickly approve your membership in the Wiki once you submit it.
Logged
Regards,
Ron

iCrop

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 42
    • http://
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:19 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
Please let me know of problems.  I'll try to quickly approve your membership in the Wiki once you submit it.
Ron, I copied it over to the Z3100 Problems page this afternoon.  Please check it out and correct any mistakes I've made. Thanks.
Mike
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »

Great job, Mike!  Thanks for making the time to do this.
Logged
Regards,
Ron

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Resolving Error 58:10 on a Z3100
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:50:29 am »

Great job. Gives some comfort that a problem like that can be solved too.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up