Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field  (Read 3316 times)

MyEcholalia

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
    • http://
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:01:35 am »

Hi all,

I just got a used Imacon 132c back with an Image Bank, and I have to say that I am hooked. Great quality files. Since I am planning to travel with it quite a bit, I wanted to check if anybody can share some thoughts on how to do backups from the Image Bank in the field. Obviously, I could take a laptop, but I would be interested in hearing about more compact solutions if there are any. You input would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Thorsten
Logged

shutay

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 11:30:03 pm »

Quote from: MyEcholalia
Hi all,

I just got a used Imacon 132c back with an Image Bank, and I have to say that I am hooked. Great quality files. Since I am planning to travel with it quite a bit, I wanted to check if anybody can share some thoughts on how to do backups from the Image Bank in the field. Obviously, I could take a laptop, but I would be interested in hearing about more compact solutions if there are any. You input would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Thorsten

Thorsten, enjoy your Ixpress! As far as I know, your only choice might be to use a laptop to do the backups. The ImageBank needs FlexColor or Phocus to download the images, and FireWire 400. Since this protocol is proprietary, you will have to have a laptop running FlexColor most likely. It is not possible to connect another ImageBank to your ImageBank and get it to backup to the 2nd one, as far as I know either, which is a pity.

To my knowledge also, you might be better off keeping FlexColor and Phocus running side-by-side, unless the laptop you carry with you is a low-power laptop, in which case, perhaps FlexColor is better. Reason I say this is that although I don't have all the details, but Phocus doesn't support doing certain things with the older Ixpress backs, but if I am correct, the latest version at least allows you to download your 3F files to the hard disk, but is more demanding on your computer performance than FlexColor.

Jason
Logged

SeanFS

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 114
    • http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:32:16 pm »

Quote from: shutay
Thorsten, enjoy your Ixpress! As far as I know, your only choice might be to use a laptop to do the backups. The ImageBank needs FlexColor or Phocus to download the images, and FireWire 400. Since this protocol is proprietary, you will have to have a laptop running FlexColor most likely. It is not possible to connect another ImageBank to your ImageBank and get it to backup to the 2nd one, as far as I know either, which is a pity.

To my knowledge also, you might be better off keeping FlexColor and Phocus running side-by-side, unless the laptop you carry with you is a low-power laptop, in which case, perhaps FlexColor is better. Reason I say this is that although I don't have all the details, but Phocus doesn't support doing certain things with the older Ixpress backs, but if I am correct, the latest version at least allows you to download your 3F files to the hard disk, but is more demanding on your computer performance than FlexColor.

Jason

You can also only use the "old standard" film response in Flexcolour (not in Phocus  - or so I have been told), I'm not sure about the newer backs , but I find this setting is most suitable for the 132c as it opens the quarter tones , where I found I was having to do this manually with the new standard settings and at the risk of blowing highlights. The only thing is the old standard won't correspond to standard iso settings so takes a little getting used to, the good news is that it is a little faster so a 100 asa setting on the camera corresponds approximately to a meter setting of 160asa. Shooting to the image bank means having to shoot to the " new standard" since firmware upgrades so it can be a bit messy, but try it out for yourself - the audio highlight alert is extremely helpful. I mostly shoot to laptop so its not so much of an issue for me.
As for backups I agree the only way is to laptop, but its very fast.

Sean
Logged

shutay

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:48 pm »

You could go pick up a cheap 12" laptop with built-in 4-pin FireWire, and if you're not satisfied with that (i.e., too many different cables), then get a FireWire 6-pin adapter, and install FlexColor for Windows just for backups.  It even costs less than a new ImageBank. Watch out for netbooks because most do not have FireWire nor some sort of expansion like PCMCIA or ExpressCard, so you cannot even add FireWire if you wanted to. Then also, many PCMCIA or ExpressCard FireWire cards do not supply power to the ImageBank. Pity.
Logged

O.Ricter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:37:59 am »


Hi Thorsten

Try www.Hasselbladdigitalforum.com for more information on your Imacon 132 C.
- You will find a lot of great information on this forum and many users of 132 C!

Best

O.R


Quote from: MyEcholalia
Hi all,

I just got a used Imacon 132c back with an Image Bank, and I have to say that I am hooked. Great quality files. Since I am planning to travel with it quite a bit, I wanted to check if anybody can share some thoughts on how to do backups from the Image Bank in the field. Obviously, I could take a laptop, but I would be interested in hearing about more compact solutions if there are any. You input would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Thorsten
Logged

ksklo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 39
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:48 am »

Quote from: MyEcholalia
Hi all,

I just got a used Imacon 132c back with an Image Bank, and I have to say that I am hooked. Great quality files. Since I am planning to travel with it quite a bit, I wanted to check if anybody can share some thoughts on how to do backups from the Image Bank in the field. Obviously, I could take a laptop, but I would be interested in hearing about more compact solutions if there are any. You input would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Thorsten

Thorsten,

Just wondering if you mind telling me how much you bought your 132C for.  I have a Hasselblad version which I am planning to sell as I am planning to upgrade to the H3DII.  I would like to know what actual transactions run at.  I suppose on ebay a lot of people are trying to sell at ridiculous prices, and those would never get sold.

And in responding to your question, a laptop is the only way to do backup.  I do use Phocus on Mac to do all my raw conversion, and it is wonderful, at least the latest version is.  I also heard that the Windows version is not as updated as the Mac version for Phocus.

Good luck with your 132C!

Ken
Logged

Carsten W

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 627
MFDB - Imacon iXpress Backup in the Field
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 04:36:07 am »

Quote from: ksklo
Thorsten,

Just wondering if you mind telling me how much you bought your 132C for.  I have a Hasselblad version which I am planning to sell as I am planning to upgrade to the H3DII.  I would like to know what actual transactions run at.  I suppose on ebay a lot of people are trying to sell at ridiculous prices, and those would never get sold.

And in responding to your question, a laptop is the only way to do backup.  I do use Phocus on Mac to do all my raw conversion, and it is wonderful, at least the latest version is.  I also heard that the Windows version is not as updated as the Mac version for Phocus.

Good luck with your 132C!

Ken

Ken, if you go on eBay and search for something, then down on the left you can then tick the "Completed Listings" and browse recent sales. In the case of the 132C, there aren't any, but there are two which didn't sell at $4600/4700. There is a current listing for $4000 which also isn't selling.
Logged
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste
Pages: [1]   Go Up