Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date  (Read 765 times)

Mike Guilbault

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1049
    • Mike Guilbault Photography
Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« on: November 09, 2025, 07:57:11 pm »

I recently received an Epson 3880 printer - works great. Some of the ink was quite old - 2018ish - but the prints are coming out beautifully. I also have a spare Matte Black cartridge that's dated with a Best Before of 2018-06-24. As mentioned, the other old inks in the printer seem to be ok. Should I replace this with a new one or "should" it be ok to use? In other words, Why does an ink expire?
Logged
Mike Guilbault

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2025, 11:07:47 pm »

I "feed" a pair of 3880s and P800 printers. Mostly, I buy out of date inks on eBay and as long as they are within about ten years, and if the price it right, I'll make a buy.

I think the main problem from what I understand is that if the ink just sits on a shelf for years without any movement, the pigments may settle.

All four of my printers are second-hand purchases, and two have been overhauled. Mostly the ink that came with them was from a couple years beyond the "expiration" and some many more years.

I also have an Epson 9900 large format printer that keeps printing away and most the inks go out of date before I use them up and replace them with out of date inks.

I've made prints with fresh inks and when I compare them with the same printer but OOD inks made later, I can't see any difference.

I think the trick is if you use older inks, make sure you give them a good shake and if you have older inks in your printer, make it a point every few months to pop out the carts and give them a shake.

There may be issues I'm not aware about using older inks, but in years of experience, I haven't experienced any problems with my printers nor have I seen any issues with my prints. The only problem I have occasionally is that I need to run a nozzle check and a cleaning cycle or two to get a good test pattern.

Once I get that good pattern, the printers are dialed in and keep on going and going.

As always, YRMV. Maybe I've been lucky over the years and the ink was kept out of the heat and that could affect its quality, but I'll keep rolling the dice...

Bottom line is that if the head is spitting out ink properly and the prints looks good, simply keep using the old ink until you need to replace the cartridge.

Oh, and BTW, I've never used any third-party inks and that may be another reason my collection of printers seldom give me grief and keep printing and printing just fine.
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Kyle Jackson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 532
    • Lone Leaf Photography
Re: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2025, 10:21:53 am »


I'd say likewise from the HP / Vivera ink side of the world. I've had 10+ yr old ink at times.

The microscopic pigment particles in pigment inks are suspended in the fluid (not dissolved in it) so some settling can occur if sitting for long time. Agitate them before installation, and occasionally if the printer sits for months unused. (Some users also do the same with the printheads in the HP Z-series printers since those also have ink them of course.)

I don't "shake" the cartridges tho, I "agitate" them by rocking them so the fluid moves back and forth from end to end (HP's instructions). I'm concerned shaking creates foam/bubbles inside the cartridge that take time to dissipate, and air in the lines is Not Good.

Logged

Mike Guilbault

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1049
    • Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2025, 11:50:36 pm »

Thanks. I feel more confident to use it up.
Logged
Mike Guilbault

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2025, 10:30:47 am »

I popped the cover of my main 3880 yesterday in curiosity...the oldest cart read use by 2015 and was a replacement cart since I had to have the black ink valve replaced when I bout the printer two years ago. So far, so good...
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Leszek Piotrowski

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 443
Re: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2025, 05:08:30 pm »

Mike,

thanks for posting

my 3880 and inks, are sitting a bit tooo long,....

I'll take these comments,... as next steps to reviving my printer.

Logged
Leszek, G

Mike Guilbault

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1049
    • Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Epson 3880 Ink out-of-date
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2025, 08:42:44 pm »

The oldest one currently in my printer is 09/2015 - the Matte Black, which I usually print with. Prints look awesome!

Mike,

thanks for posting

my 3880 and inks, are sitting a bit tooo long,....

I'll take these comments,... as next steps to reviving my printer.


Logged
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up