Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie to MF  (Read 527 times)

[email protected]

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
Newbie to MF
« on: October 12, 2025, 03:33:06 pm »

Hi,
I am new to the medium forma, coming from full frame.  I just picked up a Fuji GFX 100 ii.  I didn’t give enough consideration to how much computing power I might need to work with this size of file.  Considering panoramas and different thpes of stacking, not to mention the culling process, how much computing power is suggested for a comfortable post processing experience?  I’m a PC guy.
Thanks
Logged

Balafre

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 213
Re: Newbie to MF
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2025, 01:05:42 am »

I thought being a PC guy was out of favour in these Trumpian times...  ;)

100 Mb files are beautiful but a beast to manage. I produce similar sized files to you but on a different system (P1) and if your processing goes beyond basic (which it clearly does) you're going to need some serious firepower to chew through the data in real time, or close to. If delays aren't a worry, then relax. But if time matters, then every stage of the process is a bottleneck until everything is optimised. My experience is Apple Mac, and that hardware capability has tended to race ahead of slower software developers, (esp Adobe) but depsite that, use the most powerful CPU you can afford, process on-board ideally on a big NVMe or SSD that has lot of headroom, same types for media storage for R/W, latest versions of C1 or Pshop that are optimised for latest processors and ports like thunderbolt protocols 4 or 5 that can shunt huge amounts of data about quickly and comparable era video card with significant over-capacity you're done!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2025, 02:39:26 pm by Balafre »
Logged

John Hollenberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1208
Re: Newbie to MF
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2025, 10:05:54 am »

I have a GFX 100S and had a computer that was 7-8 years old.  I work mostly in Lightroom on Windows 11.  Here is what I purchased from Puget Systems (attached).

In my opinion, you want:

--the fastest or next to fastest CPU
--a very fast graphics card especially with all the AI stuff, denoising, etc.
--plenty of memory.  I went with 128 GB which may be overkill.  64 GB may be sufficient but I wanted to buy once.
--fast storage.  I have 2 GB and 8 GB drives SSD NVM.  The 2 GB is for the OS and programs, the 8 GB for my photos.  I back up my photos to two different 8 TB hard disks and also backup to the cloud using BackBlaze.

This is very similar to the system a friend with GFX 100 II purchased from Puget Systems.  The nice thing is that you can spec the computer however you want with the components they offer.  They put the computer together and test the heck out of it so you are very unlikely to have problems later on.  Also, their support is outstanding.

For more opinions, ask here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1067


Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Newbie to MF
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2025, 10:44:22 am »

I am using a full frame Sony but with 64 mega pixels I run into the same sort of problems that you were talking about. I got a high end Dell XPS system. It has a 20 core I 7 processor 64 gigs of memory and two internal SSD drives. Also a mid range NVIDIA graphics card. The high end ones are so pricey, so I decided to go this way. It suits my needs fine, faster is always better but fast enough is, well, good enough
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up