All outlined here:
https://www.lumita.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/pscs3_rendering_image.pdf
Thank you very much for the link.
It puts into understandable language that which I thought I knew, and turns it into more detailed information than my mind was saving. The problem is, with age, that which was clear at the time of initial reception of the information, becomes less nuanced as time passes… in other words it becomes easy to forget exactly why one does what one does, and just work on a basis of habit.
As all my current stuff now comes courtesy my old iPhone, the base line is set at jpeg standard. I understand that that‘s a lossy format, and what I do, once I get the file into the computer, is save it as a Tiff, which is not lossy. But there’s a psychological problem for me with that: long ago I was told that you can’t turn a jpeg into a Tiff. My Photoshop seems to disagree, and shows the altered files as Tiffs. Obviously not expecting the conversion to Tiff to improve on the information held in the original jpeg file, I do expect that subsequent work on it as Tiff does not allow things to get any worse as the processing of the image continues. (This precludes any dumb mistakes that I may make all by myself!)
Am I right here, or just fooling myself by thinking that converting those jpegs to nominal Tiffs is actually what has been achieved?