Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Expectations  (Read 4088 times)

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25133
Great Expectations
« on: January 18, 2025, 05:48:38 pm »

https://channel.louisiana.dk/video/camille-henroton-motherhood

I found it very difficult to stick with this lady to the bitter end of her moment in the sunshine.

Unless I misunderstood everything she had to say, it would appear that motherhood is no longer a natural part of creating a family unit (is a family unit valid, either?) and that in her brave new world, having or not having a child is now something of a “political” event, rather than being a matter of choice, of accident or even of unfortunate biological miss-function that deprives many of having any say in the matter.

She complains about breastfeeding her child on a train, that people don’t like babies around. Methinks she rather disingenuously misses the wood for the succulent tree.

There’s a time and place for everything - more or less - and I think she chose a rather poor one; I believe that one’s life can be better organised than that. I have photographed many such bits of body in my time, but that willing exposure in no way makes me comfortable with the concept of sitting beside a stranger who suddenly takes it upon herself to whip one out. It would remind me of the times that civilians (non-model people) wearing very revealing necklines get into conversation with me: where should I look? Should I pretend to have some grit in my eye, and if I don’t do the natural thing and have a good look at the advertisement, am I giving offence through my failure to celebrate with the lady her choice of clothing? Sometimes, being a guy means you can’t ever be right.

Such sensitivities aside, why should the state - or society at large - have to take upon itself the responsibilities that come with such matters as another individual’s decision to become a parent? Surely, that’s up to the parents, is it not? Of course there should be intervention when kids are subjected to forms of abuse, but that’s not where her mind is at: she expects far more, and it strikes me that she’s anything but alone in those beliefs. Being a mother is not a licence to have your professional cake and eat it. All of us must assume responsibility for matters of choice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2025, 05:54:33 pm by Rob C »
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: Great Expectations
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2025, 06:57:51 am »

https://channel.louisiana.dk/video/camille-henroton-motherhood

I found it very difficult to stick with this lady to the bitter end of her moment in the sunshine.

Unless I misunderstood everything she had to say, it would appear that motherhood is no longer a natural part of creating a family unit (is a family unit valid, either?) and that in her brave new world, having or not having a child is now something of a “political” event, rather than being a matter of choice, of accident or even of unfortunate biological miss-function that deprives many of having any say in the matter.

.
.
.

Don't despair. There have always been people with fringe ideas. That doesn't mean that others agree, nor that even she will feel the same in a few years. Several of my friends have become grandparents in the last decade or so, and from what I can tell all those involved are enjoying the experience immensely.
Logged
--
Robert

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25133
Re: Great Expectations
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2025, 09:47:00 am »

Don't despair. There have always been people with fringe ideas. That doesn't mean that others agree, nor that even she will feel the same in a few years. Several of my friends have become grandparents in the last decade or so, and from what I can tell all those involved are enjoying the experience immensely.

In my case at least, the grandparent era has brought much joy.

For my wife and myself, the main thing (other than the love/sentimental part) that it did was to open us both up to the idea of long car trips. I figured that financially, it broke more or less even to ferry and drive between Mallorca and the Spanish mainland, enjoy a relaxed trip through France, take the ferry across the Channel to England, suffer the rather hellish drive up north to Scotland, spend six weeks there between the two parental homes, and drive home again, when compared with flying and hiring wheels for six weeks. I loved those personal versions of a European “Route 66”… we enjoyed them for several unforgettable years; sadly, my first heart attack put an end to that, when my wife refused to take the chances that I might have a second, which I did.

After she died, it crossed my mind to say the hell with it, and just drive there again, but both sets of parents had, by then, passed on, and even if I had elected to simply tour France again, a broken heart wasn’t gonna be the best travelling companion: in other words, a waste of both time and ever-shrinking resources.

If there’s a moral to it, never put off what you can do today, because come mañana, maybe you won't be able to do it at all. In other words, if you desire - and have the bread - buy yourself those two friggin’ models of the Q!

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2555
Re: Great Expectations
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2025, 10:41:20 am »

Amen !
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up