Hi, you shouldn't be limited to just Win7, that's going really far back. I run Win 10 and my 24 inch Z3100PS GP works fine. I'm using the last firmware and driver they made for it, plus HP Utility. (I can even run the APS software if I wanted too lol...)
I also recall others here mentioning they're doing similar with Win 11 as well.
I've found that the problems are the later "universal" drivers from HP or Windows Update ("V3" or "V4"), which are garbage -- they don't support many of the Z3100 / Z3200 printer communication features. But as long as you install the earlier printer-specific drivers instead, they seem to work ok without any loss of function. So it might not be the later OSes themselves that cause issues, maybe it's just the bad universal drivers.
My setup:
Firmware TR12-TR12PS_7.0.0.3 (this is model-specific for 24 inch Z3100PS GP)
PCL3 raster driver 61.101.366.41 (from ~2010, also model-specific for 24inch PS I think)
HP Utility 1.17.0.3 (same for everyone, I use it with my 24 inch Z3200 PS Rev B as well)
Win 10 64-bit latest build
Ethernet connection
I can't speak much to the app compatibility, I'm still limping along on PS CS5.1 and LR3.6 lol! But that's not intentional, just where it's been stuck while a whole bunch of life unfolded... 😵 Maybe I'll have something more recent "soon".