Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: switching from Window to Mac  (Read 3227 times)

chez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2501
Re: switching from Window to Mac
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2022, 08:05:09 pm »

Eh?  Assuming the operating system you use supports demand-paging, and you typically run multiple coactive application programs, there is no such thing as too much primary memory.  Modern RAM components perform reads and write much faster than even the highest performance solid-state drives.

Yeh, that’s the same logic of getting a 400hp car to go to the grocery store. There is definitely a declining noticeable difference as you add more ram. Buying too much is just wasting money imho.
Logged

sbay

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 225
    • http://stephenbayphotography.com/
Re: switching from Window to Mac
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2022, 11:20:21 am »

I am thinking of buying a new computer and thinking of going form a windows based platform to a Mac.  what drawbacks should I be aware of of if any.  Is this a fairly easy switch?

Even though I have a strong preference for Mac, I would not suggest moving lightly. There's a large upfront time commitment in terms of installing software, finding replacements or workarounds for software that doesn't exist, resetting up your backups (are you going to reformat backup drives from NTFS to HFS?), migrating any cloud backups you have, finding drivers for old peripherals, dongles, etc. Some of these items may not apply to you, but sometimes even small things are a pain to deal with.

Jonathan Cross

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 754
Re: switching from Window to Mac
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2022, 12:04:00 pm »

When I switched 16 months ago, LR and Photoshop were easy. Microsoft Office was the same. My external drives were all formatted as Exfat so read by both Windows and Mac. I downloaded a printer driver for my printer and got new ICC profiles for my papers. Ptgui and Helicon Focus were also easy.

Jonathan
Logged
Jonathan in UK
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up