Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storm Over Black Hills  (Read 503 times)

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Storm Over Black Hills
« on: July 22, 2021, 08:42:33 pm »

C&C welcome

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: Storm Over Black Hills
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:01:40 pm »

A little hint of greenish would make it more ominous imo.
Logged

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Storm Over Black Hills
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:28:15 pm »

I like this image quite a lot. What I would to try and improve is to see if you can create two different tone between the mountain ranges. I try to do that a lot when I convert to BW. It helps create depth and flow within the image. If it can be done and looks right.

JR
Logged

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: Storm Over Black Hills
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 07:14:29 am »

I like it too, but feel it needs more tonal variation, as John R. suggested. (Maybe in the  clouds as well?)
Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Storm Over Black Hills
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 09:38:40 am »

Something like this?
Thanks for the comments. I have a 10% cooling filter on it and tried to open up some of the layering in the mountains and sky. I will have to see what a green filter does.

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Storm Over Black Hills
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 09:52:06 pm »

Not sure you got my meaning. I am referring strictly to the two mountain ridges. The way to lighten one of the ridges is to create a brightness-contrast mask and paint in one of the ridges as lighter (sort of like selecting and brightening the ridge.) You can try both alternately. But I am thinking the sky has many alternating bright and dark areas, so the bottom ridge should be lightened up. The resulting image should be mixed dark-light sky (as is), dark mid ridge, light bottom ridge. It will give the scene depth and give a sense of layers in the scene.

JR
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:58:47 pm by John R »
Logged

David Eckels

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3529
  • It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Storm Over Black Hills
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 09:46:15 am »

Thanks, that's is what I thought you meant, John. I did lighten that foreground ridge and going any further, it ended up looking wrong. I could push it, of course, easier to push all of the hills than dodge one or the other. That foreground ridge has a bit more luminosity than the hills in the distance but not much. I will have to see how it prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up