Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PPI settings  (Read 1186 times)

bwana

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 310
PPI settings
« on: February 26, 2019, 11:01:06 am »

I have read here and elsewhere that Epson printers natively scale all images to 360 ppi unless superfine output is selected (720 scaling is there applied). Thus it has been recommended that one use the better algorithms in PS to scale to 360 dpi at the expected print size. In LR, the print engine has been lauded in that it does all this natively. However these videos from Marrutt seem to have somewhat contradictory information

https://www.marruttusa.com/printer/support/printing-resolution.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=rQVtg7EtTNw

As they do not specify the details nor the printer, I am not inclined to follow their recommendations.  I post this info here as there are certainly more experienced people here who could add their experience/opinions/data.

Logged

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
Re: PPI settings
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:07:53 pm »

Lots of videos on that page!

I watched video 5, and I see nothing new relating to what has been discussed, his conclusions support the 360/720 workflow.  I believe a Nikon d800 file has more resolution than 360 dpi at 11x17, so resizing it down to the 360 will yield good results, creating anything smaller than that will obviously throw away data and then the image will have to be resized back up to 360 by the driver. I’m not sure why you would make a 180dpi file from a 36mp camera then force the printer to resize it back up, yet that’s what he was demonstrating. His conclusions however seem to validate that if the resolution is higher than 360 then resizing  it to 720 dpi might yield slightly better results  Pretty much what was determined here several years ago. A little odd that the native file size without resizing appeared identical to 720, but the issue here is he didn’t say how he was resizing the image and whether he actually understood how the settings in the driver and the use of the finer detail checkbox could affect the output. (I suppose it is possible that Epson has changed their driver and now will default to 720dpi if the file resolution is higher than 360 so using the finer detail checkbox may no longer be necessary and that’s why the results of the native resolution matched the 720dpi resolution. But checking the box wouldn’t matter even if this were true).

The workflow you mentioned was thoroughly tested by several including Jeff Schewe.  I believe Jeff himself was skeptical about the use of the finer detail checkbox but after he tested began recommending "the 360 dpi in Lightroom unless the image is over 360dpi in resolution, then use 720 and check the finer detail checkbox” workflow.   Many others have since personally tested it (myself included) and arrived at the same conclusions.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: PPI settings
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:14:07 pm »

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/photography-workflow/the-right-resolution/
I don't know about Marrutt, I DO know about this Schewe guy.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
Re: PPI settings
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:39 pm »

Logged

Dave Rosser

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 228
    • My Website
Re: PPI settings
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:59:54 am »

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/photography-workflow/the-right-resolution/
I don't know about Marrutt, I DO know about this Schewe guy.
Well being in the USA you would not.  :o  Its a British manufacturer of after market ink and paper for Epson printers, it specialises in bulk ink conversion kits for printers using small ink cartriges.

Dave

Logged

Dan Wells

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1044
Re: PPI settings
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:25:38 am »

Another +1 for Jeff Schewe - that's the best detailed description of what's going on between applications, print pipelines, drivers and printers that I've seen - and he should know - he helped write Lightroom's print module.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up