Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper  (Read 1627 times)

pamelavlcek

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:42:58 pm »

Newbie here...I'm upgrading to a 17" printer from a Canon pro-1 and wondering which printer is best for getting deep blacks on art paper...the pro-1 has very poor blacks so I'm trying to avoid making that mistake again...however the Epson front load  feeder for thick papers drives me crazy...had the p600, sold it and bought the pro-1 after struggling with the front feed...how is the blacks with the Canon pro-1000?
Logged

Sbarroso

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
Re: best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:55:31 pm »

I suggest you reading the reviews of Mark.

https://luminous-landscape.com/author/mark-d-segal/

 I remember some interesting tests on this combination in the latest canon printers (not the pixma pro-1, definitively). I think the visual result was much better than the actual dmax number.


Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

pamelavlcek

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
Re: best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 06:49:56 pm »

I suggest you reading the reviews of Mark.

https://luminous-landscape.com/author/mark-d-segal/

 I remember some interesting tests on this combination in the latest canon printers (not the pixma pro-1, definitively). I think the visual result was much better than the actual dmax number.


Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks I will...Mark posted in another thread a work around the front feeder problems by using the roll feeder instead...lets me consider the p800 without reservation...
Logged

unesco

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 254
Re: best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 02:51:13 am »

Both, P800 and Pro-1000 have excellent blacks on matt/fine-art papers.
Logged

Pluminland

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
Re: best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 11:24:54 am »

I've have a p800 and use it with Breathing Color papers such as 600MT (their cheaper stuff) and their Optica One papers which are of higher quality.  Both do a great job with the blacks on the Epson printer.  The main difference is better detail in the higher quality paper.   But, really, they all look very good.
Logged

Simon J.A. Simpson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Re: best 17" printer for deep blacks on art paper
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:07:41 am »

Newbie here...I'm upgrading to a 17" printer from a Canon pro-1 and wondering which printer is best for getting deep blacks on art paper...the pro-1 has very poor blacks so I'm trying to avoid making that mistake again...however the Epson front load  feeder for thick papers drives me crazy...had the p600, sold it and bought the pro-1 after struggling with the front feed...how is the blacks with the Canon pro-1000?

You can get good dense blacks with the PRO-1 but you have to select a paper type other than ‘matte’.  Using one on the ‘fine art’ paper selections increases the density of the blacks, but then the software introduces 30mm borders top and bottom.  This is to prevent head-strikes should the paper start to curl with ink deposited at near to the start and/or end of the paper-feed.  A workaround is to try using one of the gloss paper selections (e.g.Canon Pro Platinum) but this comes with a warning that you may get paper curl and therefore head-strikes.

I can’t comment on the Epson p800 nor the Canon Pro1000 but these may also benefit from selecting a different paper type than matte to get a good dense black.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:45:46 pm by Simon J.A. Simpson »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up