Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountain vista  (Read 2976 times)

Kiwi Paul

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 159
    • My flickr
Mountain vista
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:42:48 pm »

A telephoto mountain vista taken on the west coast of Scotland.

Logged
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2810
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 05:33:22 pm »

Definitely a great "starting point" photograph with much potential to add impact. The clouds and receding mountains work in your favour. But, as it is, with flat lighting, a pale sky, no Dax and little impact, it's very straight forward with little to engage the viewer. Give me five minutes in LR and it could be spruced up (right now, I'm on my iPad, so I won't attempt it).
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2810
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »

So here is my take in LR...

May not be your cup of tea or your original intention; hopefully it's food for thought.
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2810
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:34:42 pm »

But, it it were my image, I would go straight to B&W with a slight warm tone...

Again, I'm not trying to impose, but rather offer food for thought.

Note the slight erasing of the main Graduated Mask along the tops of the mountains. This was done, along with the addition of an Adjustment Brush adding exposure as the dramatic increase in Clarity caused sever haloing.

A great image to explore in LR. Note: the "granular" appearance is due to the small jpeg image being pushed. i would imagine the original raw file would not exhibit this unwanted effect with similar treatment.
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:36:54 am »

Definitely a great "starting point" photograph with much potential to add impact. The clouds and receding mountains work in your favour. But, as it is, with flat lighting, a pale sky, no Dax and little impact, it's very straight forward with little to engage the viewer. Give me five minutes in LR and it could be spruced up (right now, I'm on my iPad, so I won't attempt it).

Dax?

Jeremy
Logged

MoreOrLess

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 239
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:59:32 am »

A monochrome might be worth considering but I'm not too fond of those colour edits.

Nicely taken shot, if I had to be critical I'd say perhaps it could have done with some land in the foreground? not just to frame the composition but also to show more of a drop-off is contrast over the distance.
Logged

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2810
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:59:45 am »

Dax?

Jeremy

Sorry - "Dmax" was autocorrected.
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:27 am »

Dax?

Jeremy
Maybe a short form of Covfefe?
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kiwi Paul

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 159
    • My flickr
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 10:36:12 am »

Here's a new version, I agree the original was a bit flat and I re-cropped it to reduce the sky and add more water.

Logged
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »

This version works very well for me.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 02:35:36 pm »

The processing is much better but there seems to be an odd effect just above the clouds, particularly centre and left. I'm not sure the extra water really helps.

Jeremy
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 04:10:52 pm »

Back to the original.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MoreOrLess

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 239
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 04:07:15 am »

My feeling would be that the original is about as far as you could push a colour version OP, everything else has lacked subtley/realism for me, I preffer your original crop as well, the clouds are much more effective with some blank space above them giving them equal weight to the mountains in the composition.

What I might suggest is a monochrome that rather than looking to play up the contrast of the mountain tops instead looks to play up the declining contrast with distance. If you don't mind I did this quick edit reducing contrast of the distant elements and increasing it on the water and closer mountains trying to give more of a sense of distance whilst keeping the subtler nature of the image.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:22:09 am by MoreOrLess »
Logged

graeme

  • Guest
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 04:37:54 am »

Back to the original.

I agree. The muted colours are part of the image's character. Maybe a tiny boost in the midtone contrast / clarity?
Logged

Kiwi Paul

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 159
    • My flickr
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 09:24:19 am »

My feeling would be that the original is about as far as you could push a colour version OP, everything else has lacked subtley/realism for me, I preffer your original crop as well, the clouds are much more effective with some blank space above them giving them equal weight to the mountains in the composition.

What I might suggest is a monochrome that rather than looking to play up the contrast of the mountain tops instead looks to play up the declining contrast with distance. If you don't mind I did this quick edit reducing contrast of the distant elements and increasing it on the water and closer mountains trying to give more of a sense of distance whilst keeping the subtler nature of the image.



Yes I like that version, it works well.
Logged
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Telecaster

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3686
Re: Mountain vista
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »

I like both the original and MoreOrLess' monochrome. They might work well printed together (same piece o' paper) too.

-Dave-
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up