Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue  (Read 3995 times)

tr4driver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue
« on: April 28, 2017, 09:13:11 am »

Greetings,

I have a Canon iPF8400 that I'm suddenly having an issue with regarding borderless printing.  As recent as two days ago, I made some borderless prints on a 10" roll, but this morning, I tried to print a 24" x 30" print on a 24" roll, and was unable to successfully do so.  The image printed with a standard minimum border (approximately 0.2").  I'm printing through Lightroom, and made sure all of the settings are correct.  I've done a lot of borderless printing on 24" rolls in the past with no issues.  When I have the printer driver show a print preview, it shows that the print will be borderless.  I've tried rebooting the printer and computer, but no success.

Normally, when printing borderless, the first thing the printer does is feed approximately 4" of paper and start printing, then trim the 4" for a borderless leading edge.  It's not doing that.  It simply doing the print with the normal 0.2" minimum border that's used when printing non-borderless.  It's like the driver simply not sending the "borderless" signal to the printer.

What am I missing here?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kurt
Logged

Garnick

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1229
Re: iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:36:49 am »

Greetings,

I have a Canon iPF8400 that I'm suddenly having an issue with regarding borderless printing.  As recent as two days ago, I made some borderless prints on a 10" roll, but this morning, I tried to print a 24" x 30" print on a 24" roll, and was unable to successfully do so.  The image printed with a standard minimum border (approximately 0.2").  I'm printing through Lightroom, and made sure all of the settings are correct.  I've done a lot of borderless printing on 24" rolls in the past with no issues.  When I have the printer driver show a print preview, it shows that the print will be borderless.  I've tried rebooting the printer and computer, but no success.

Normally, when printing borderless, the first thing the printer does is feed approximately 4" of paper and start printing, then trim the 4" for a borderless leading edge.  It's not doing that.  It simply doing the print with the normal 0.2" minimum border that's used when printing non-borderless.  It's like the driver simply not sending the "borderless" signal to the printer.

What am I missing here?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kurt

Hello Kirt,

I seldom print from LR, mostly from Photoshop, but I'm sure this would apply.  I also don't know which OS you are using, Mac or Windows.  However, I have one question.  Is this the first time you have used the 24x30 "borderless" Custom Paper size you have created?  If so, please check to make sure you have not included any margins when you created that "Custom" size.  I use Mac OS X 10.9.5, but I imagine this would also apply to the Windows platform.  When I am creating a new Custom Paper Size I always include a .01" margin.  However, if it's a Borderless size the "margins" are left at 0.0".  If I'm in a hurry I occasionally make a mistake and include the 0.1" margin for a borderless size also, but it only takes a couple of swipes of the print head to discover the problem, and it's always the same issue, my mistake in the margins. 

Check your other borderless custom sizes and see if this one has the same margins.  If not, make it the same as the ones that seem to be working well.  That has always been the issue if it isn't printing borderless when expected, at least in my workflow.  I hope perhaps this is of some help.

Gary     

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:47:17 am by Garnick »
Logged
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

tr4driver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 11:55:28 am »

Thanks for the tip Gary.  I'll check the margins in the custom sheet size.  I use a lot of different custom sheet sizes when doing borderless printing, and have never actually even looked at the margin settings, nor have I ever set them.  I've never had this issue before, and Lightroom let me set the margins to zero (which it won't allow if I'm using cut sheets).  My OS is Windows 7.  What has me baffled is that the preview does show the print being made as borderless, so it seems that the print driver is sending the borderless setting to the printer, but that the printer is not receiving it for some reason.

Thanks again, and I'll post an update after I've had a chance to check the custom sheet size settings.

Kurt
Logged

tr4driver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:58:28 pm »

Hello Kirt,

I seldom print from LR, mostly from Photoshop, but I'm sure this would apply.  I also don't know which OS you are using, Mac or Windows.  However, I have one question.  Is this the first time you have used the 24x30 "borderless" Custom Paper size you have created?  If so, please check to make sure you have not included any margins when you created that "Custom" size.  I use Mac OS X 10.9.5, but I imagine this would also apply to the Windows platform.  When I am creating a new Custom Paper Size I always include a .01" margin.  However, if it's a Borderless size the "margins" are left at 0.0".  If I'm in a hurry I occasionally make a mistake and include the 0.1" margin for a borderless size also, but it only takes a couple of swipes of the print head to discover the problem, and it's always the same issue, my mistake in the margins. 

Check your other borderless custom sizes and see if this one has the same margins.  If not, make it the same as the ones that seem to be working well.  That has always been the issue if it isn't printing borderless when expected, at least in my workflow.  I hope perhaps this is of some help.

Gary     

Okay...  I checked, and I'm a little confused.  I don't see an option at all for margin size when I set a custom size.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the print setup screen.  I've made hundreds of borderless prints and have never had this issue before.  I'm baffled.

Thanks,

Kurt
Logged

Garnick

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1229
Re: iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:50:27 pm »

Okay...  I checked, and I'm a little confused.  I don't see an option at all for margin size when I set a custom size.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the print setup screen.  I've made hundreds of borderless prints and have never had this issue before.  I'm baffled.

Thanks,

Kurt

Hello again Kurt,

First I must apologize for misspelling your name, not paying attention :-[.  Obviously the combination of Canon + Windows handles borderless printing quite differently from the Mac OS + Epson combo.  It would seem that the custom paper size you have created for the 24x30" print is exactly 24x30.06".  The 24" width would seem to indicate that there's no room for bleed, but again that's probably just the way that combination of OS and Printer handles borderless.  I see you have checked Scale to Fit Roll Paper Width, which means it is actually stretching the image, at least on one dimension(width).  Also, the Epson Large Format printer + Mac OS combo does not allow for borderless printing on sheets, only roll paper.  I don't know if Canon + Windows does allows that option, or if Canon + Mac OS does either.  On the Epson printer + Mac OS the bleed is added to the actual image size before it is sent to the printer, instead of having the printer do it.  Unfortunately, due to the differences in our printer+OS combos, I cannot offer any further advice.  However, I do think you should check some of your other custom paper sizes and see if they are perhaps set up differently in some way.   

I'm sure someone will chime in soon to help solve this issue.

Gary     

Logged
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

tr4driver

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: iPF8400 Borderless Printing Issue
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:59:36 am »

Hello again Kurt,

First I must apologize for misspelling your name, not paying attention :-[.  Obviously the combination of Canon + Windows handles borderless printing quite differently from the Mac OS + Epson combo.  It would seem that the custom paper size you have created for the 24x30" print is exactly 24x30.06".  The 24" width would seem to indicate that there's no room for bleed, but again that's probably just the way that combination of OS and Printer handles borderless.  I see you have checked Scale to Fit Roll Paper Width, which means it is actually stretching the image, at least on one dimension(width).  Also, the Epson Large Format printer + Mac OS combo does not allow for borderless printing on sheets, only roll paper.  I don't know if Canon + Windows does allows that option, or if Canon + Mac OS does either.  On the Epson printer + Mac OS the bleed is added to the actual image size before it is sent to the printer, instead of having the printer do it.  Unfortunately, due to the differences in our printer+OS combos, I cannot offer any further advice.  However, I do think you should check some of your other custom paper sizes and see if they are perhaps set up differently in some way.   

I'm sure someone will chime in soon to help solve this issue.

Gary     

Thanks for the response Gary.  I did manage to work out a solution, and your initial response did point me in the right direction; however, I'm still confused.  As I mentioned earlier, I have successfully printed many borderless prints using these setting on different size rolls with no issue in the past.  I have always simply scaled the print to the roll width, clicked on the "Custom Size" button and then entered the sheet size for the print (in this case 24x30).  Obviously the width would need to match the roll width, which it does in this case.  You noted that the actual width as displayed in 30.06".  I'm a little confused about that.  I assume that the software would oversize the image a little for the bleed (as you stated), but 0.06" does not seem adequate.  To be honest, I've never paid that much attention to it (just noted that the actual size calculated was greater than what I input), since my borderless prints have always looked fine in the past.

Now to explain what I did to get it to work.  I actually created and saved a custom size using the "Size Options" button, and printed using the "Fit Paper Size" option and then selecting the created paper size.  It worked perfectly.  I'm just baffled why the way I've been doing it for the past two and a half years quit working.

Thanks again for your help.  It was your comment about creating a custom sheet size that directed me in the right direction.  I've never actually created and saved custom sheet sizes in the past, and have simply entered them on the fly in the past in the "Custom Size Settings" box (as shown on my screen shot).

Kurt
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up