Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mercury's transit across the sun  (Read 1003 times)

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Mercury's transit across the sun
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:31:37 pm »

I set my camera up and ate lunch as Mercury was in the process of making its transit across the sun. I am guessing that the object above the northern half of the frame is either a satellite or a sun spot. Mercury is the tiny dot below the yellow line
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:11:05 pm by BobDavid »
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »

Fascinating.

But I think the upper dark spot is a drone belonging to another photographer who was trying to get too close to the sun.  ;)
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:51:47 am »

…
But I think the upper dark spot is a drone belonging to another photographer who was trying to get too close to the sun.  ;)

Excellent explanation…  ;D
Logged
Francois

MattBurt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4132
  • Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:39 pm »

Nice work. Do you use a solar filter? I made one for the 2012 Venus transit. I tried to get foreground and the sun/planet combo and it technically worked but could use some refinement. I would have liked to try again today but couldn't pull it off.
Logged
-MattB

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:48 pm »

Nice work. Do you use a solar filter? I made one for the 2012 Venus transit. I tried to get foreground and the sun/planet combo and it technically worked but could use some refinement. I would have liked to try again today but couldn't pull it off.

a stack of ND filters ---26 f/stops
Logged

Eldad

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • Photos and Music
Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:37 pm »

Quote
But I think the upper dark spot is a drone belonging to another photographer who was trying to get too close to the sun.  ;)
I could be a sun spot :)
Logged
Leica m9, Summicron 50mm
Music and Photos | http://asoulin.com

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Mercury's transit across the sun
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:27:32 am »

It is a sunspot. I wasn't sure until after I posted.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up