Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-Pro 1 RAW development  (Read 7381 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Fuji X-Pro 1 RAW development
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:30:28 pm »

I am new to this camera. I have the 35mm and 14mm lenses. In CS6 (latest ACR down loaded), there are no lens corrections for this camera or lenses. I have read that the Fuji lens profiles built into the camera firmware will make automatic corrections if shooting JPGs, but I prefer RAW. What is everyone using? I tried the supplied Silky Pix, but it is not obvious to me if it automatically fixes lens faults.
Thanks in advance.
Dave in NJ
Share this post on Digg
 Del.icio.us
 Technorati
 Twitter

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Fuji X-Pro 1 RAW development
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:08:13 pm »

Dave,
Both Michael and I shoot with the Fuji and find it to be excellent. Michael uses Lightroom for his image processing and I use Capture One. Both do a nice job but I am partial to C1 as I believe it does a cleaner output. You can get a trial version of Capture One from Phase One. Try out a few images from both and make a choice based on your experience.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »

The latest version of Irident Developer for Mac is supposed to be giving better results than ACR as far as crisp details: http://www.fujirumors.com/mixed-zone-the-valley-of-ghosts-x-talk-x-reviews-and-iridient-developer/

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:12:16 am »

Are you referring to faults such as barrel distortion or colour-related issues like CA?  If the latter, then those corrections aren't profile-based.  If the former, then there's also a manual correction option.  You can correct one image then sync that change to all the others with that lens.  You can also correct it in one image, save the correction as a preset then apply the preset to all future images with that lens.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:18 am »

The lens profiles are built into the exif header of the camera. This is something for new cameras. Eric has mentioned in one of the LuLa videos that ACR/Lightroom use the embedded profile on the raw file and it is applied automatically, that is why there is no profile to select or check. Capture one also applies this. Conversion software that uses DCRAW does not apply this profile. The Zeiss lenses also have the profile embedded in the exif, at least the Touit lenses. I prefer Capture One for the most part, I think the color is a little better right off the bat and the files are sharper and less blurring. Sometimes it is very hard to see the difference between C1 and Adobe, other times it is huge.

I use Lightroom for library management etc. and C1 for raw development and then have Lightroom import the files exported from C1, they are then key worded and managed from there.

Capture One has a Lightroom catalog importer that is Mac only and beta at the moment, once that is working on windows I may switch completely to C1, we will have to wait and see as I am so used to using Lightroom at the moment. Maybe this old dog can be made to change......

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »

Thank you Alan, and all who responded. The info about the lens corrections built into the exif header  and automatically corrected is valuable info for me. I have used DXO for years, but one wonders if it will be needed for lens fault corrections, if the lens mfgr build in that correction data.
Thanks all again
Dave

The lens profiles are built into the exif header of the camera. This is something for new cameras. Eric has mentioned in one of the LuLa videos that ACR/Lightroom use the embedded profile on the raw file and it is applied automatically, that is why there is no profile to select or check. Capture one also applies this. Conversion software that uses DCRAW does not apply this profile. The Zeiss lenses also have the profile embedded in the exif, at least the Touit lenses. I prefer Capture One for the most part, I think the color is a little better right off the bat and the files are sharper and less blurring. Sometimes it is very hard to see the difference between C1 and Adobe, other times it is huge.

I use Lightroom for library management etc. and C1 for raw development and then have Lightroom import the files exported from C1, they are then key worded and managed from there.

Capture One has a Lightroom catalog importer that is Mac only and beta at the moment, once that is working on windows I may switch completely to C1, we will have to wait and see as I am so used to using Lightroom at the moment. Maybe this old dog can be made to change......

Alan

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:36:40 am »

Currently DXO does not support the sensor at all, and they are still claiming they have no intention. As you probably already know.

Good luck, I really enjoy the camera a lot, great IQ and the portability cannot be beat and the lenses are great.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

marcmccalmont

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37:01 pm »

I'm having good luck with Capture 1 Pro!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Harald L

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:44:37 pm »

Dave,
Both Michael and I shoot with the Fuji and find it to be excellent. Michael uses Lightroom for his image processing and I use Capture One. Both do a nice job but I am partial to C1 as I believe it does a cleaner output. You can get a trial version of Capture One from Phase One. Try out a few images from both and make a choice based on your experience.

+1

And don't forget to forget ACR
Glad to be an amateur

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43:02 am »

Although I use ACR/CS6 for Bayer type sensor images, I get really good results from the XTrans Sensors if I do the RAF import in Aperture and then open in CS6 for further editing. I've been trying to get equivalent results through ACR and it doesn't seem to be working as well for me. Haven't tried Capture 1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up