Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 65063 times)

NikosR

• http://
5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

Yes, everything depends on one's own criteria, and I agree it's early days for definitive conclusions.

However, the 3 year wait for a 5D upgrade has been worth it. I'm a bit dismayed at incremental improvements in camera technology which encourage one to keep up with the Jones' and essentially waste money. I'm pleased my current 5D has had good use. It's been repaired once. I'm close to the 100,000 shutter activations. I'm ready for an upgrade, and here it comes. Just in time   .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If Canon had come up with a 20Mp camera with video and with IQ, AF, responsiveness, features and build comparable to the D700 at that price then I think that no-one would be hesitant to say they are the undisputed champs at the moment. But I believe they haven't. So it depends on one's criteria.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:53:41 am by NikosR »
Nikos

RobertJ

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:11 am »

Did you look at the Canon USA website as I suggested, or are you just spouting off "randomly" as my teenage daughter would say?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...odelFeaturesAct
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think you realize that the US Canon site is full of mistakes.  

They're obviously wrong, since the specs for the 5DII also state that there is a 1.6x crop factor with *EF* lenses, which is wrong, of course.

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 03:13:13 am »

I think we can confidently declare that Canon have risen to the challenge of asserting their status as Numero Uno in relation to Nikon and Sony.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For those more concerned about owning a status symbol than taking a photograph, I guess that would be the most important consideration.

RobertJ

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 03:16:22 am »

If Canon had come up with a 20Mp camera with video and with IQ, AF, responsiveness, features and build comparable to the D700 at that price then I think that no-one would be hesitant to say they are the undisputed champs at the moment. But I believe they haven't. So it depends on one's criteria.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem is that Canon works a bit differently than Nikon.  

While Nikon is willing to add "pro" features to a sub-$3,000 camera, Canon works a different way.

The "5D" series, whether in 2003, 2008, or 2018, has been introduced because of one reason: To *economically* put out a camera with a full-frame sensor with an attractive amount of megapixels, with outstanding image quality (or the best image quality, according to most people) and some basic features.

Weather sealing, Pro-AF, high-speed FPS?  Maybe that's reserved for another camera coming soon.  

Those who need it can only hope.  Otherwise, for people who aren't picky, the 5D series = Win.

Ray

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18:24 am »

I don't think you realize that the US Canon site is full of mistakes. 

They're obviously wrong, since the specs for the 5DII also state that there is a 1.6x crop factor with *EF* lenses, which is wrong, of course.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not wrong. EF-S lenses either have a 1.6x crop factor of they have unacceptable peripheral light fall off.

NikosR

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 03:19:29 am »

This is not wrong. EF-S lenses either have a 1.6x crop factor of they have unacceptable peripheral light fall off.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Huh??    That's a very convoluted way of thinking (but then, it's you Ray ) .  Seriously, isn't it easier to think that Canon US have screwed up their 5DMkii announcement?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:23:12 am by NikosR »
Nikos

The Hardcard

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2008, 03:20:08 am »

So, unless someone comes up with a reasonable explanation of how Canon have managed to overcome this limitation I will choose to believe that Canon US have screwed up on the info they have put on their site.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suspect that if they had accomplished such an engineering feat, it would be included in the hype. I am also in the doubters camp.

RobertJ

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2008, 03:21:04 am »

And this is not wrong either:
5DII specs:

Canon EF lens mount (does not support EF-S lenses)
• No field of view crop (1.0x)

Ray

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2008, 03:23:41 am »

Huh??  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EF-S lenses project a smaller image circle than FF 35mm. There's no sudden cut-off, just severe vignetting, on full frame. Didn't you know that?  

NikosR

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2008, 03:24:23 am »

EF-S lenses project a smaller image circle than FF 35mm. There's no sudden cut-off, just severe vignetting, on full frame. Didn't you know that? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray, pls. stop being yourself for once
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 03:34:06 am »

For those more concerned about owning a status symbol than taking a photograph, I guess that would be the most important consideration.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221973\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tony,
It would indeed. But what you seem to have missed is that those who don't give a stuff about owning a status symbol, like me, will also be very attracted towards this camera.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:41 am »

Take a look at the Landscape, a lot of CA !

And 3.9 frame/second what was the rate of the EOS 5D ?!

Wait for a complete review and test.

What will be more interresting, a comparison with the D3 for Dynamic Range !

Hope we've one soon !

Thierry

Ray

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 04:08:45 am »

Take a look at the Landscape, a lot of CA !

And 3.9 frame/second what was the rate of the EOS 5D ?!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry,
From memory, I think the 5D is rated at 2.9 fps. There appears to be a simultaneous increase in both frame rate and resolution in the 5D MkII. Nothing to complain about there   .

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 04:15:27 am »

I know this have been discussed early but now I can't find the post, anyway I will ask it again: 2700$ are 1896€ on today current change, what are the 600€ diference for the 2500€ european price?

Arnau
---------------------------------------

Ray

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 04:17:53 am »

I know this have been discussed early but now I can't find the post, anyway I will ask it again: 2700$ are 1896€ on today current change, what are the 600€ diference for the 2500€ european price?

Arnau
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Taxes?

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 04:26:19 am »

I think this is the price without them, if not 600€ in taxes seems an awful lot to me.

Canon should make an international warranty, camera bodies are the ONLY thing I don't buy in USA. On the other hand there may be some differences that makes the price higher, see for example the extended 2 years warranty in europe for 1ds.

Arnau.

Taxes?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:28:21 am by Pantoned »
---------------------------------------

NikosR

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 05:00:47 am »

I think this is the price without them, if not 600€ in taxes seems an awful lot to me.

Canon should make an international warranty, camera bodies are the ONLY thing I don't buy in USA. On the other hand there may be some differences that makes the price higher, see for example the extended 2 years warranty in europe for 1ds.

Arnau.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pls. let's not turn this thread into another 'why product X costs less in the US than in the rest of the world' thread. Get over it, this is how things are. There are many reasons for this and I can list a few

- Taxes
- Cost of doing business
- Economies of scale due to uniform mass market
- warranty differences
- legal protection
- long term estimates about currency fluctuations
- because they can

and I'm sure somebody more business savy than me can come up with a few more, but, honestly, I'm getting bored of this discussion which leads nowhere. If you need to do something about it complain to the respective regional HQ of each company and vote with your money, but pls. no more of this moaning.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:04:43 am by NikosR »
Nikos

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 05:43:37 am »

New question to throw into the pot...Rob G's site states:  "the array of red, green and blue coloured filters over the sensor have been made more transmissive"

Will we get, for instance, a good enough blocking of red and blue light from leaking into a green pixel i.e. higher transmission of all colours rather than just the colour being sampled. The issue here could be smaller colour gamut and poor colour definition. Do we gain high ISO and dynamic range and loose the ability to distinguish colours properly? Something for the reviews to tell us perhaps.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:44:34 am by DiaAzul »
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 05:57:18 am »

I think we can confidently declare that Canon have risen to the challenge of asserting their status as Numero Uno in relation to Nikon and Sony.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 5DII is certainly a valid upgrade for Canon shooters. I am not really sure how it differentiates from the Sony A900 for photographers (meaning those not interested in video capabilities), but that won't be an issue for many invested in Canon lenses.

As far as the #1 position, it certainly will keep fluctuating a lot in the coming months and years. My view is that the days where significant differences were present are gone forever.

Speaking of competition, what are the odds that 2 companies supposedely not talking to each other release video support in DSLRs within weeks of each other?...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:18:31 am by BernardLanguillier »

Deep

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 06:35:08 am »

Someone in an earlier post asked why zooming during video may not be supported when lenses have manual zooms.  I think the issue is that focus changes slightly when you zoom on most lenses and, generally, the mirror needs to be down to autofocus.  However, there are hybrid systems out there now so we'll see how it works, I guess.  I'd imagine sound quality may not match picture quality either!

Anyhow, looking good!  The original 5D has stood up to time better than any other digital camera, as I see it and it looks like all changes have been genuine improvements.

Don.
Don
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up