Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Book Module question - book size changes  (Read 2040 times)

robcrandall2

LR Book Module question - book size changes
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:45:56 pm »

2 questions:
1. After creating a book in LR Book Module, is it possible to change the Book Size (e.g., from 7x7 square to 12x12 sguare) WITHOUT having to re-format every page? Will all the formatting and photo sizing changes carry over to the new Book size?
2. As changes are made to a book project, LR continuously saves changes as they are made. Is there a way to save a version, or perhaps back up several steps?

thanks,
Rob

thill1111

Re: LR Book Module question - book size changes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:42:17 pm »

You can duplicate a book with the right click menu on the book icon.

I have changed sizes to books after realizing I wanted a larger size and it worked fine.  I would think for square format to a different size square format would work fine, but easy to check by duplicating the book first.

robcrandall2

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:52 am »

Thanks. Sorry for the newbie question, but where/what is the "book icon?"

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:38:48 am »

It's in the Collections panel. A book has a vaguely book-like icon next to its name.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 06:50:04 pm »

Sometimes I wonder why Adobe came up with book mode?  It is a wonderful idea and I wish it was improved.  However, I don't think that will ever happen because Adobe would also like you to use InDesign. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:45:02 am »

Sometimes I wonder why Adobe came up with book mode?  It is a wonderful idea and I wish it was improved.  However, I don't think that will ever happen because Adobe would also like you to use InDesign. 

Well, maybe you missed the recent changes? More Blurb sizes, much more flexibility over laying out pages, and they eliminated the awkwardness which forced you to mess around with cell padding. In any case Book already had a lot more design features, especially in type, than one would expect.

So while I would like to see an Edit with InDesign command, I don't buy your point about Adobe's motives. It might be fairer to point out that we still can't define our own page sizes*, so maybe Adobe only want you to use Blurb?

John

* The template mechanism does allow other book vendors to offer their own page sizes and layouts, and there are third party templates

HSakols

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 10:28:59 am »

John, I shouldn't of spoken so soon.  It is good to see improvements being made to book mode.  Thanks for your presence here of LULA.

thill1111

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 04:11:33 pm »

* The template mechanism does allow other book vendors to offer their own page sizes and layouts, and there are third party templates
[/quote]

John, Could you point me to some of the third party templates for use in LR?  I didn't know any book vendors were doing that other than Blurb.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 04:19:30 pm »

As far as I know, while the mechanism would allow them to do so, no other book vendors have stepped up and created templates, but there are a couple of third party solutions. I haven't tried either and have no idea how good they may be.

Ferdinand Veldman http://ferdinand.veldmans.com/page2lr.php
Tania Vesta https://www.etsy.com/nl/shop/TaniaVestaDesign?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Maybe I should try writing a template creator? I'll have a think...

John

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:22:31 pm by john beardsworth »

adias

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 12:55:35 am »

Tried a Blurb book, created by Lightroom. Not good! Many pages with printing defects/roller marks. Washed out with poor blacks. I guess they compensate for complaints of dark images from customers with dim uncalibrated displays.

Blurb does not refund orders even when their printing is lousy! I will look elsewhere.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:28 am »

Have you asked for a reprint? Hard to believe that they would refuse when the book has "printing defects/roller marks".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:21:33 am by john beardsworth »

adias

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 11:29:10 am »

Have you asked for a reprint? Hard to believe that they would refuse when the book has "printing defects/roller marks".

They will reprint the copies with physical defects, but I doubt they will improve teh photographic printing. These photos print beautifully in ICC-ruled printers, thus the washed out look is their doing.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 12:27:17 pm »

They will reprint the copies with physical defects, but I doubt they will improve teh photographic printing. These photos print beautifully in ICC-ruled printers, thus the washed out look is their doing.

You'd have to make a good case to them that the "washed out look" is their fault. Have you tried softproofing problem images in Photoshop with their profile? It's imperfect, as it's supposedly for all printers and papers, but they offer it and seem to think it represents what their processes should produce.

adias

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 04:56:06 pm »

You'd have to make a good case to them that the "washed out look" is their fault. Have you tried softproofing problem images in Photoshop with their profile? It's imperfect, as it's supposedly for all printers and papers, but they offer it and seem to think it represents what their processes should produce.

It's not a color balance issue. I think what's going on is that Blurb (at least for their Premium Lustre paper) decided to brighten the images, as I suspect they have complaints form many who have too bright displays.

HSakols

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 05:46:24 pm »

Has anyone compared Blurp with Magcloud.  I understand Blurp acquired Magcloud, but arn't they different printing services?  I'm asking because I've seen some very nice Magcloud books created by skilled photographers. 

adias

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 07:43:26 pm »

Has anyone compared Blurp with Magcloud.  I understand Blurp acquired Magcloud, but arn't they different printing services?  I'm asking because I've seen some very nice Magcloud books created by skilled photographers.

Since it's Blurb... I just checked Costco Books and they look far better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up