Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: siba on April 24, 2015, 03:06:21 am

Title: p45 internal battery for time and date
Post by: siba on April 24, 2015, 03:06:21 am
I have a p45 back which I bought about 8 years ago when they first came out. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is an internal battery for the time and date settings, which has a life of five years or so. And indeed,a couple of years ago it started asking me to set the time and date every time I turn the back on. Nothing major, but a bit annoying.
Does anyone here know what the solution may be. I imagine the only thing to do is to send the back to phase one. Has anyone had experience with this issue?
Thanks,
Stefan
Title: Re: p45 internal battery for time and date
Post by: siba on April 24, 2015, 04:13:32 am
OK. On the phase one site I came across the solution.
If you do not shoot tethered for a while the internal battery needs recharging. To do this you should tether your back for 24 hours and this should do the trick.
Title: Re: p45 internal battery for time and date
Post by: Chris Valites on April 24, 2015, 03:57:08 pm
OK. On the phase one site I came across the solution.
If you do not shoot tethered for a while the internal battery needs recharging. To do this you should tether your back for 24 hours and this should do the trick.

Yep! We see this with our pre-owned backs and even some of our rental inventory.

Be sure to use a powered firewire hub to ensure proper power flow. While it may not be nearly as important for just simple trickle charging, power stability is variable, as explained here: https://captureintegration.com/tethering-the-weakest-links/
Title: Re: p45 internal battery for time and date
Post by: studio347 on April 26, 2015, 03:17:34 am
yes, I had same experience with p65. My solution is to keep the p65 with the outside battery attached. Not all the time though~ Of course, power-off. I guess that somehow the outside battery gives some electricity to the back to keep the timer working. The tethering method didn't work for me. I think the internal battery issue is small but real one. The fact that this issue has not been corrected or recognised, might imply less perfect professionalism of phase one, since the issue has been known for years..., even though I have been a happy user of the phase one products. I'm not sure if this issue has been corrected for the newer IQ backs.
Title: Re: p45 internal battery for time and date
Post by: beano_z on April 27, 2015, 12:37:10 am
OK. On the phase one site I came across the solution.
If you do not shoot tethered for a while the internal battery needs recharging. To do this you should tether your back for 24 hours and this should do the trick.

I've got the same problem, thanks for sharing the solution, so does it work?

BB