Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on April 23, 2015, 11:09:13 am

Title: Homeward
Post by: stamper on April 23, 2015, 11:09:13 am
With or without the colour?
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 23, 2015, 01:00:08 pm
I'd say without, at least as you have it at the moment. It seizes the attention and won't let go, which given the quality of the rest of the image is rather a shame.

Perhaps if you reduced the saturation and brightness just a little, so the contrast with the monochrome wasn't quite so dramatic, you'd manage a useful half-way house.

Sainsbury's will love you for keeping it, though  ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 23, 2015, 08:24:43 pm
I think toning down the color would make it work. It's a bit too strident as it is.

P.S. I really like the image. Straight B&W would work nicely and be safe. But subtle color on the bag is well worth a try.
You caught the right instant with his body language and location.

Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: stamper on April 24, 2015, 04:15:33 am
Yes I see that toning down would possibly be better.
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: francois on April 24, 2015, 04:28:44 am
The toned down photo is better. The bright saturated orange bag was a magnet, a very strong one.
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 24, 2015, 09:19:35 am
Yes, toned down. Good shooting!
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 24, 2015, 11:05:15 am
Yes, toned down. Good shooting!
+1.
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 24, 2015, 12:07:48 pm
Without.
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: RSL on April 25, 2015, 11:19:26 am
The toned down photo is better. The bright saturated orange bag was a magnet, a very strong one.

+1. A fine shot.
Title: Re: Homeward
Post by: BobDavid on April 25, 2015, 12:11:49 pm
I've looked at this picture at least half a dozen times--both iterations. It is not a perfect photograph. Fine. But it has storytelling power. It appeals to me as a still from a film clip. So, it's intriguing, and it offers up some curiosity cues: What happened before and what happens next?

Wouldn't it be interesting to watch a film shot at a 1:1 aspect ratio? I'm surprised it hasn't been done (at least as far as I know).