Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Diego Pigozzo on April 20, 2015, 05:33:46 pm

Title: Japanese feeling
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on April 20, 2015, 05:33:46 pm
I took the shot hoping it would work as a japanese painting, and I'm happy with the result.

The latter is the original shot.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: luxborealis on April 20, 2015, 07:19:58 pm
Beautiful use of photography and creativity, Diego.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 20, 2015, 07:22:11 pm
Very effective.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: louoates on April 20, 2015, 10:00:43 pm
Nicely done. I love to see how the creative "vision" goes far beyond what was once called "straight photography".
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: francois on April 21, 2015, 03:48:49 am
I took the shot hoping it would work as a japanese painting, and I'm happy with the result.
…

I can easily understand why you're happy! It's a beauty.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on April 21, 2015, 05:20:58 am
Thank you all  :D.

Now I have to shot some other "into the sun tree" photos, to see if I took a good shot with this one or it's just the kind of photos that sit well with this post-processing.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 22, 2015, 04:44:51 pm
Nice.

What was used as a background? A wall or...?
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on April 22, 2015, 05:05:29 pm
Another shot I'm happy with (Japanese-Feeling-2) and one I'm not sure how to feel about (Japanese-Feeling-3).

Some personal thoughts on these images: I fully realize they are "cheap shots" both technically and "visually".

On the technical side, the post-processing is quite easy (much more easy than I thought).
On the visual side I recognize that the unusual aesthetic may be enough to create interest for the image.

On the personal side, however, I like these images because it doesn't happen often to me to go from the idea to the shot to the final image without losing the original idea in the process.

I think that both the well recognized aesthetic of the japanese paintings and the easyness of the post-processing helped me quite a lot in focusing on the process.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: NancyP on April 22, 2015, 05:32:05 pm
I like the tonality and background, very nice and very reminiscent of screens.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Bob_B on April 23, 2015, 08:40:03 am
+1; these are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on April 23, 2015, 03:47:48 pm
Thank  you all  :D
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: ashaughnessy on April 24, 2015, 01:17:29 pm
I like it  lot. I don't think it's a "cheap shot" as you put it, at all. I think you've used very good judgement in the post processing, choosing the colours and textures very carefully (or at least, deciding that the very easy processing you mention gave you a result that you considered worth showing) and I also think the composition (from the original) is good. I'm not really too bothered how you created the final result, I'm only interested in the result. Even if the post processing was easy, you have to use good artistic judgement to create something that isn't gimmicky, where the picture is more than just the special effects.
Anthony
Title: Re: Japanese feeling
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on April 24, 2015, 05:02:08 pm
I don't think it's a "cheap shot" as you put it, at all. I think you've used very good judgement in the post processing...
Anthony

I have to say that I find your comment quite interesting.
Due to my professional background I've never thought about post-processing as an "artistic choice", but reading your comment I think you have a good point, a point I have to think more about.

So, the end point is: your comment made my mind a little richer (and my ego a little happier, together with the other's comments :D)