Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Isaac on April 20, 2015, 12:14:47 pm

Title: Skateistan
Post by: Isaac on April 20, 2015, 12:14:47 pm
Quote
“I thought here is an amazing, upbeat story from a part of the world I’m only hearing horrors from (http://www.bjp-online.com/2015/04/jessica-fulford-dobson-skate-girls-of-kabul/). I thought this has to be seen.” The series, shot on-location in Kabul from 2012 to 2014, shows young Afghan girls in traditional dress holding skateboards, skating on ramps, and having fun with their friends. One portrait – titled Skate Girl (http://www.jessicafd.com/) – won second prize in the 2014 Taylor Wessing Prize.
Title: Re: Skateistan
Post by: NancyP on April 20, 2015, 04:19:13 pm
Thank you.
Title: Re: Skateistan
Post by: tom b on April 20, 2015, 07:13:04 pm
Interesting article, more images here (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=SKATE+GIRLS+OF+KABUL&newwindow=1&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_IY1VfaeLJe48gXRq4CwDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643).

Cheers,
Title: Re: Skateistan
Post by: luxborealis on April 20, 2015, 07:30:00 pm
Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Having worked with Muslim kids in Africa and here in Canada, I am rarely surprised now by the breadth of culture exhibited compared to the narrow focus of traditional western media. I am reminded of a great conversation I had with one of my senior students years ago, a Muslim girl in full hijab everyday, and how she would be pursuing a career in fashion design. And you know what - she's doing exactly that today.