Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: James Clark on April 16, 2015, 06:25:00 pm

Title: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: James Clark on April 16, 2015, 06:25:00 pm
Hey everyone- hoping to get a little locally-based advice.  I'm based the the southwest, but I'm in Portland for business on Sat, April 25 and Seattle the following Saturday, May 2.  Instead of making the flight back and back to the PNW again three days later, I'm planning to stay in the PNW and tour around/shoot.   My question is, is this time better spent exploring the Portland area or the Seattle area?  I'm leaning toward Portland for the Mt. Hood, Columbia Gorge, Willamette Valley regions, but Seattle (or the Washington coast (Olympic?)) area could work if the photographic opportunities might be better.

Thoughts?
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: Sheldon N on April 17, 2015, 12:56:27 pm
I'm a bit biased, being based in the Portland area but I'd recommend focusing your time/efforts in Oregon.

Springtime in the Columbia River Gorge is exceptional, lush greens and good water flow in the waterfalls. Central Oregon is not too far, check out the Painted Hills in John Day, OR.  If you want to photograph seascapes, the Oregon coast is also very good. Canon Beach/Ecola is sandy beaches with sea stack rocks. As you go farther south you get more rocky/rugged seascapes.

Washington is also beautiful, especially the Cascades around Mt Rainer and north cascades up to Mt Baker/Mt Shuksan. You're a bit early for wildflowers and mountain scenes though, that's more July (possibly June this year). The Olympic coast is great, but a bit remote and a long drive from Seattle, not quite as accessible and fun with associated towns/attractions as the Oregon coast can be.
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: pcgpcg on April 17, 2015, 06:40:41 pm
I'd recommend focusing your time/efforts in Oregon.

Springtime in the Columbia River Gorge is exceptional, lush greens and good water flow in the waterfalls. Central Oregon is not too far, check out the Painted Hills in John Day, OR.  If you want to photograph seascapes, the Oregon coast is also very good. Canon Beach/Ecola is sandy beaches with sea stack rocks. As you go farther south you get more rocky/rugged seascapes.
What he said.

I would focus on the Gorge (30 min. from downtown Portland) and the coast (1-1/2 hrs. from downtown). End of April is perfect time this year. Your senses will be overwhelmed by greenery and wetness. I promise. You will have to desaturate the greens in your photos to make them believable.

Painted Hill are three hours away and, given that you are from the SW, I think you will be underwhelmed.

The Olympics, Hoh Rain Forest, and North Cascades National Park are all fantastic, but take multiple days to access and explore.
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: Kevin Raber on April 17, 2015, 09:25:40 pm
Michael, Chris and I just did a few days in Columbia River Gorge.  It's close to Portland and it has tremendous sites to offer.  We had a very productive few days of shooting.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: Chairman Bill on April 18, 2015, 07:05:43 am
I've seen The Killing, set in Seattle. It always rains apparently. I've also seen Grimm, set in Portland. There's some weird things going on there. I'd stay at home.  :)
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: HSakols on April 18, 2015, 10:35:04 am
If you choose to visit Portland make sure to check out Edgefields for a bite to eat.  I give yourself time to enjoy the art.  http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: Sheldon N on April 18, 2015, 12:18:11 pm
Painted Hill are three hours away and, given that you are from the SW, I think you will be underwhelmed.

Fair point, didn't think about that. :)

If you choose to visit Portland make sure to check out Edgefields for a bite to eat.  I give yourself time to enjoy the art.  http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home

Definitely. It's right next to the Gorge and perfect for relaxing after a day of shooting. Be sure to track down the Little Red Shed, that's my favorite of the many attractions there.
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: James Clark on April 18, 2015, 05:34:30 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I'm booked in downtown Portland Thursday night through Tuesday, then I'll head out and about until I go to Seattle on Thursday night or Friday morning.
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: pcgpcg on April 18, 2015, 06:29:39 pm
Don't forget to take rain gear and something to keep your camera/lenses dry.
Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: CezarMart on April 19, 2015, 10:24:58 pm
You cannot go wrong with either. I am from Portland and most my photos were taken in the area, so I am obviously going with Oregon.
Some concrete advice for Portland area:

1. Mount Hood area:
Trillium Lake (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Trillium-Lake-107708446 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Trillium-Lake-107708446)),
Timothy Lake (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Last-Rays-88813773 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Last-Rays-88813773))

2. Columbia Gorge:
Dog Mountain, especially now when the flowers are blooming (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Dog-Mountain-126765073 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Dog-Mountain-126765073)).
Multnomah Falls (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Multnomah-Falls-82410206 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Multnomah-Falls-82410206))

3. Sisters/Bend area:
http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/And-yet-another-barn-156455160 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/And-yet-another-barn-156455160)
http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Sunrise-over-Sisters-148303001 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Sunrise-over-Sisters-148303001)


As to Seattle area I heard Mount Rainier area is spectacular, although I never shot there. My favorite is, however, the Mount Baker area. I was there in the winter only (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Mount-Shuksan-BW-204305075 (http://cezarmart.deviantart.com/art/Mount-Shuksan-BW-204305075)), but the locals say the area is even more photogenic in the summer. I am going there this October.


Title: Re: Seattle vs. Portland vs ?
Post by: maddogmurph on May 01, 2015, 12:33:19 pm
Eagle Creek in the gorge, also about 5 miles up from there is a great opportunity to see Adams, Helens, & Rainier all lined up on a clear day.  You'd need to go all the way up to the PCT and overnight to get up to that section but you'd trek through some lush green forest that reminds me of the rain forests in the Olympic peninsula.  Adams isn't far, and Helens is on my list.