Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: fdisilvestro on April 12, 2015, 07:54:33 pm

Title: Homework
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 12, 2015, 07:54:33 pm
I liked the expression of my daughter when she was doing some homework.
I wanted to give it a low key look, but I'm afraid the details in the dark areas are visible only in well calibrated monitors  :-\

(http://www.frankdisilvestro.com.au/img/s7/v153/p1105817736-5.jpg)
Thanks for watching
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: mezzoduomo on April 12, 2015, 08:23:15 pm
I like this one too, Frank. The composition has a couple of interesting triangles, and the face is nicely illuminated....proud Papa!  ;D
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: luxborealis on April 12, 2015, 09:00:39 pm
Nicely done, Francisco. She could just as easily be my daughter sitting there on her Mac doing homework. Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 12, 2015, 10:45:13 pm
Beautiful photo.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 13, 2015, 12:08:34 am
Beautiful photo.
It is indeed. And there is just enough detail visible.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 13, 2015, 07:57:02 am
Many thanks for your comments, highly appreciated!
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: RSL on April 13, 2015, 08:22:25 am
Beautiful photo.

+1
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: BobDavid on April 13, 2015, 09:31:53 am
Just a suggestion: Lower the luminance level on the "Apple," so your daughter's face is more prominent in the photo. My eye has a tendency to linger on the logo which is really just a cue to inform us she is concentrating on her laptop screen.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: RSL on April 13, 2015, 09:51:59 am
+2
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 13, 2015, 10:20:26 am
Thanks for the suggestion Bob, new version here:

(http://www.frankdisilvestro.com.au/img/s6/v144/p1108061659-5.jpg)

Regards,
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: spidermike on April 13, 2015, 10:45:35 am
A lovely portrait.

I prefer the original because reducng th eluminance has had an odd effect - the computer top looks OOF but the cushion and the bowl either side of it are pin sharp. Or is it that the laptop is vibrating while your daughter is typing? If the latter then lowering luminance seems to have accentuated the blurriness (it reminds me of the banding you get round the sun when reducing the highlights too far).
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 13, 2015, 10:55:09 am
Hi, thanks for your comment. I'm still debating among the two versions or even something in the middle.

About the OOF:
The cushion is sharp since it is almost in the same plane of focus where the face is (the bowl is not really sharp, but maybe it is not noticeable in the small web version).
The computer top is closer to the camera, out of the focus zone (I used f2.8 with a focal lenght of 125 mm). 
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: spidermike on April 13, 2015, 11:12:21 am

About the OOF:
The cushion is sharp since it is almost in the same plane of focus where the face is

That really surprises me, though I know some odd things happen with parallax.
How about masking out the logo altogether?
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: RSL on April 13, 2015, 01:47:17 pm
I like the toned-down apple, but I'd be tempted to spot it out altogether. The cushion on the left gives the frame balance and even at this level the apple's distracting.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 13, 2015, 03:41:01 pm
I like the toned-down apple, but I'd be tempted to spot it out altogether. The cushion on the left gives the frame balance and even at this level the apple's distracting.
I agree. Without the logo it won't be read as an advert for Apple.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: fdisilvestro on April 13, 2015, 10:06:28 pm
Thanks to all that commented and suggested improvements.

It was not the intention to look as an advert, but definetely it is a clever design tactic from Apple, so the only way to not notice it, would be to edit the logo out, with possible critics of losing "authenticity"  ;D

I think I will let my daughter decide which one she likes best  8)
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 13, 2015, 11:42:55 pm
I think I will let my daughter decide which one she likes best  8)
Good choice.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: stamper on April 14, 2015, 03:24:58 am
I prefer the first. There is an abundance of black - which I like - therefore the apple nicely counterbalances the blacks. A very pleasing image.
Title: Re: Homework
Post by: Bob_B on April 14, 2015, 11:31:51 am
Great photo. I like the first version a wee bit more for the same reasons Stamper mentioned.