Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: luxborealis on April 12, 2015, 05:48:12 pm
-
Here are two from earlier today - a beautiful early spring morning with the ground just starting to thaw. It's a a small conservation area south of the city on the moraine I go back to three or four times a year and am never disappointed.
Both were made with a D800E and AF-S 18-35mm on a tripod at ISO 100; processed in LR 5.7 w/ slight toning
Spring Woods: 35mm; ƒ11; -⅔EV
Winter into Spring: 24mm; ƒ8; -⅔EV - I tried this one at ƒ11 and ƒ16, but in both cases the background was too obvious
-
I like both, but especially the first. The way the fallen logs slant one way and the shadows slant the other, while the young trees stand upright adds a lovely geometry to the image.
-
I too like both, and prefer the second. But 'f8' and your comment about the background make me wonder why not f4? You had a tripod, so......
????
-
The first one looks great at full-screen size. Tasty black and white.
-
Both nice Terry but the first is special.
Chuck
-
Is it all young regrowth?
No, there are some larger beeches as well. It's an area of second growth forest with a few areas, such as this, that are more recent after a tornado touched down some years ago.
-
I too like both, and prefer the second. But 'f8' and your comment about the background make me wonder why not f4? You had a tripod, so......
????
At f4, the DOF was too shallow. I could have worked harder to get more parallel to the leaves, but still, there was sufficient depth to require a smaller aperture.