Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on April 11, 2015, 03:57:26 am

Title: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Harald L on April 11, 2015, 03:57:26 am
Another one from the series "I couldn't resist". My wife says that I should drop it into the waste bin because it's not sharp enough. I wonder if the lack of sharpness is an issue here. What do you think?

(http://harlempix.com/wp-content/gallery/bruxelles/DSC15615.jpg)
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: bernie west on April 11, 2015, 04:12:37 am
Not that my opinion carries any particular weight, but it looks fine to me.  I find blur in street photography to often be a point of interest rather than a failing.  The street is usually constant motion, so a bit of motion blur in the image conveys that well.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: RSL on April 11, 2015, 06:28:16 am
Street photography doesn't always need to be sharp, but putting the girls in the center of the frame loses some points.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 11, 2015, 08:03:42 am
Not that my opinion carries any particular weight, but it looks fine to me.  I find blur in street photography to often be a point of interest rather than a failing.  The street is usually constant motion, so a bit of motion blur in the image conveys that well.
I agree.
And the girls are properly a bit left of center, not really in the center of the frame.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: petermfiore on April 11, 2015, 08:25:10 am
I know, no crop......no crop....
In this case the red dress becomes much more important and richer. The Green makes the red pop...

Peter
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: mezzoduomo on April 11, 2015, 08:42:06 am
Not that my opinion carries any particular weight, but...I think its not sharp enough. And, I think you might think so too. I like the framing as you've presented it, and the colors are great!

When I see something similar in my pictures, I'm tempted to say 'good enough', or rationalize why the issues are not really issues. But if I'm being truly honest with myself, I must concede.....'close but no cigar'.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: David Eckels on April 11, 2015, 09:03:37 am
I can tell you for sure that the reason your wife says throw it in the bin is NOT because it's not sharp enough ;) I agree with the 8x10ish crop in from the left. BTW, I like it very much.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: RSL on April 11, 2015, 09:21:56 am
I know, no crop......no crop....
In this case the red dress becomes much more important and richer. The Green makes the red pop...

Peter

Except, in this case, Peter, I'd say, crop. . . crop! On the other hand it would have been better to frame the picture properly in the first place -- unless there's some junk off to the right that would detract.

Having said all that I probably should add that I like the picture. It's pretty good street, especially considering the way the girl is stretching that skirt as she walks.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 11, 2015, 10:27:17 am
Except, in this case, Peter, I'd say, crop. . . crop! On the other hand it would have been better to frame the picture properly in the first place -- unless there's some junk off to the right that would detract.

Having said all that I probably should add that I like the picture. It's pretty good street, especially considering the way the girl is stretching that skirt as she walks.
(Grumble, grumble!) Just when I thought I had a good fight started with Russ, I have to agree with him again.  ;)

Just to repeat: Rule #37 of Good Seeing isn't simply "Never crop!" It's a two part rule:
1.   Do your best to crop it right in camera, but
2.   If you miss, crop it as needed later.

Do I have that right, Russ?

I like the original, but Peter's crop is an improvement, IMNSHO.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: RSL on April 11, 2015, 11:02:41 am
Hi Eric,

I certainly agree with your two-part rule, but I'd add: "3. Try like mad to get it right in the camera."

And Peter's crop definitely is an improvement.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 11, 2015, 11:12:14 am
I can tell you for sure that the reason your wife says throw it in the bin is NOT because it's not sharp enough ;) I agree with the 8x10ish crop in from the left. BTW, I like it very much.

+1000 ;D
+1
+1

As for the sharpness, and old Canon ad comes to mind: "I see a beautiful girl on a beach at sunset and I am thinking...1/125 and f/8" ;)
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: RSL on April 11, 2015, 12:28:56 pm
That's Canon for you. At 125 and f/8 it's gonna be underexposed.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 11, 2015, 12:52:42 pm
That's Canon for you. At 125 and f/8 it's gonna be underexposed.

Actually, my memory failed me, it was 1/250, but a stronger sunset than yours: ;)

Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: RSL on April 11, 2015, 01:42:59 pm
It looks as if the woman the guy loves has drowned. There's the water, but no woman. She probably was calling for help while he was trying to figure out what exposure to use.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 11, 2015, 03:06:09 pm
On second thought, there is nothing wrong with the composition. No need for cropping. Just look at the intersection of thirds: ;)
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: petermfiore on April 11, 2015, 03:20:17 pm
On second thought, there is nothing wrong with the composition. No need for cropping. Just look at the intersection of thirds: ;)
Hi Slobodan,
I felt is was more about the space above that need to go...the rule of thirds is just that, a rule. Sometimes one needs to ignore them.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 11, 2015, 03:22:07 pm
...the rule of thirds is just that, a rule. Sometimes one needs to ignore them.

I can't... I am glued to it in this case ;D
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: petermfiore on April 11, 2015, 03:30:51 pm
I can't... I am glued to it in this case ;D


I wouldn't have it any other way...lol



Peter
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Harald L on April 11, 2015, 03:48:33 pm
On second thought, there is nothing wrong with the composition. No need for cropping. Just look at the intersection of thirds: ;)

 ::)

Do you believe in coincidence? You see, I've learned a lot at LuLa.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Mjollnir on April 11, 2015, 05:27:13 pm
It's wonderful.

There is very fortuitous implied motion in the outline of the legs in the dress.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: BobDavid on April 11, 2015, 11:48:12 pm
It's an arresting photo: Color, motion, composition, and a story. My wife doesn't always agree with me and I don't always agree with her. Trust your gut.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: spidermike on April 13, 2015, 04:48:14 am
On second thought, there is nothing wrong with the composition. No need for cropping. Just look at the intersection of thirds: ;)

Technically, I agree with you. But the visual 'weight' and size of the square doorway and the vividiness of the dress make it a single unit which appears lmore central than it actually is so I think you need to 'overcompensate' by exaggerating the third as done in Perter's crop.
Both work well but I just think the weighting given by the crop adds a bit to it.

But I do like both.
It is a shame when modern obsession with technicalities (in this case 'the subject must always be sharp') is an immediate barrier to what otherwise is a good composition. But if her dress had been any other colour but red I doubt it would have worked as well.
Title: Re: A matter of sharpness
Post by: Cem on April 13, 2015, 07:57:01 am
Another one from the series "I couldn't resist". My wife says that I should drop it into the waste bin because it's not sharp enough. I wonder if the lack of sharpness is an issue here. What do you think?
I think that this is a good photo and the lack of sharpness is totally acceptable especially if it is presented as a part of a series showing similar images. In street photography one is primarily looking at the composition, the colours, the motion and the capturing of the moment, as Bob wrote before me. This photo delivers in those areas.