Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Bsmooth on April 10, 2015, 12:47:52 pm

Title: New Site Format
Post by: Bsmooth on April 10, 2015, 12:47:52 pm
As much as new websites are nice and use all the latest features, I am one who prefers the older one. This makes the newer one harder to find things for one and relations to older tutorials and such are harder to find.
 The Canon forums went the same way, and I just don't visit them any longer.
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: Kevin Raber on April 10, 2015, 01:09:01 pm
Just bear with us a while longer.  We won't be going back to the old site but we are building an easy way to find topics, posts and things of interest with a new search and results feature.   It should be really good when it is finished and allow readers to drill down to specific things they are interested in. It takes a bit of work to build, but we have it underway. 

Thanks for reading Luminous-Landscape.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: dreed on April 15, 2015, 03:48:44 am
Something that I have noticed with the new site format is that the front page (www...) does not contain any direct links to the forums when using a mobile device such as an iPhone. Is that an oversight or am I suffering from blindness?
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: Paul Gessler on April 15, 2015, 08:39:49 am
Something that I have noticed with the new site format is that the front page (www...) does not contain any direct links to the forums when using a mobile device such as an iPhone. Is that an oversight or am I suffering from blindness?

I'm not saying you're suffering from blindness, but...  ;D :)
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: dreed on April 16, 2015, 09:56:15 am
I'm not saying you're suffering from blindness, but...  ;D :)

Yah, can you tell I'm still getting used to browsing websites by phone?
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: Kevin Raber on April 16, 2015, 10:34:13 am
Also right above the search box is a small 4 line icon.  Tap that and a menu will appear to take you to any section on the site.

Kevin
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: petermfiore on April 16, 2015, 10:56:37 am
Just bear with us a while longer.  We won't be going back to the old site but we are building an easy way to find topics, posts and things of interest with a new search and results feature.   It should be really good when it is finished and allow readers to drill down to specific things they are interested in. It takes a bit of work to build, but we have it underway. 

Thanks for reading Luminous-Landscape.

Kevin Raber
Hi Kevin,
Will the search be topic specific....or in other words, I have to know what I'm looking for. As opposed to what used be a discovery by browsing.  to see what is around. Which was always fun.

Peter
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: Kevin Raber on April 16, 2015, 12:56:42 pm
On one of my recent Rantatorials I gave an update to the Luminous-Landscape website.  We are in the process of designing an advanced search and index feature.  You'll be able to search on a number of different categories and get the results is a list format.  Just give us some time and we'll have a feature that we think will open up all sorts of possibilities to finding past articles and information.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: petermfiore on April 16, 2015, 01:34:58 pm
On one of my recent Rantatorials I gave an update to the Luminous-Landscape website.  We are in the process of designing an advanced search and index feature.  You'll be able to search on a number of different categories and get the results is a list format.  Just give us some time and we'll have a feature that we think will open up all sorts of possibilities to finding past articles and information.

Kevin Raber

Excellent!!

Peter
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: dreed on April 23, 2015, 12:49:56 am
With the new image galleries, is there a way to usefully provide title and EXIF information without detracting from the image?

When images are displayed on the home page there is "Corner in yellow", etc overlayed but if I go into the gallery then there is no way to discover that information?
Title: Re: New Site Format
Post by: Kevin Raber on April 23, 2015, 06:34:12 am
The simple data is on the front page picture.  If you roll over with your mouse you see it roll out it goes away.  When you enlarge the image you enlarge it so you can view the shot without the data and have the ability to peep around.  If your mouse is in the picture it is magnified and you can navigate around.  Roll your mouse out and the image goes to full frame size without magnification.  We are not going to put meta data on the larger pictures.  If you need it it is on the front page image.

Kevin Raber