Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: William Walker on April 10, 2015, 06:17:02 am

Title: At the end of my street
Post by: William Walker on April 10, 2015, 06:17:02 am
We went for a short walk the other evening and I liked this one very much. Your thoughts are always appreciated.

William
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Tony Jay on April 10, 2015, 06:28:49 am
William, this one made me cry.
Hit me right in the solar plexus.

I am reading so much about the negative things happening in RSA at the moment - it breaks my heart.
Your capture that encapsulates such simple beauty and perspective is a timely reminder that perhaps all is not lost and that hope still exists.

Thank you

Tony Jay
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on April 10, 2015, 06:52:46 am
From the compositional point of view, I like it more when I view it with the browser rather than the imageviewer.
Let me explain: with the browser I see the photo "cropped" slightly before the end of the right tree.
I noticed that this "crop" gives me a sense of "story in the making", while the full shot with the complete right tree and the empty space after it gives me a sense of a story with nothing else to be told.

About the black&white conversion, I like it but, for my personal taste, I prefer the sky more "black and contrasted" and the highlight in the foreground more "highlight".
But, for this, must be kept in mind that I'm viewing the photo on a 5 years old 40$ lcd display.
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2015, 09:16:09 am
It has a lovely mood, and the BW conversion is right on.
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: David Eckels on April 10, 2015, 10:35:43 am
It has a lovely mood, and the BW conversion is right on.
+1 It has a painterly mood, the light is terrific, and FWIW I think more contrast or a darker sky would not be the direction I'd go. If I would do anything, I would consider coming in closer a bit, but that might spoil the foreground; I find the bushes on the left and the little tree in the distance on the right (very) slight distractions. Notice I didn't use the "c" word ;)
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 10, 2015, 12:12:41 pm
Notice I didn't use the "c" word ;)

Well, I'll use it. I think it's a wonderful photograph which would be even better if the white stick at the extreme right weren't there. It's too bright and draws attention to itself. Crop it!

Jeremy
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: RSL on April 10, 2015, 12:36:43 pm
Don't crop it; spot it.

Very nice, William.
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: David Eckels on April 10, 2015, 12:49:59 pm
Don't crop it; spot it.
I like that idea and the 2:1 AR would be maintained, which I like too.
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Harald L on April 10, 2015, 01:16:59 pm
I like it a much. Reminds me on unforgettable times I've spent in ZA  so I'm quite biased on that wonderful picture. I would crop the scrubby sides but that is just a matter of personal taste.

H
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 10, 2015, 06:08:33 pm
Don't crop it; spot it.

Very nice, William.
I'm with Russ on this.
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 11, 2015, 01:55:38 pm
Don't crop it; spot it.

Well, that's what I'd have done (or tried to do), but I thought that spotting to remove things was even more heinous a sin than cropping.

Jeremy
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: RSL on April 11, 2015, 02:45:15 pm
You always have to say two Hail Mary's when you do it, Jeremy.
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 11, 2015, 02:48:33 pm
Well, that's what I'd have done (or tried to do), but I thought that spotting to remove things was even more heinous a sin than cropping.

Jeremy
My general attitude is this:
1.    Do your best to get it right in camera.
2.    If that doesn't quite work, do anything you want to try to improve it.
3.    If your "improvement" makes it worse, trash it and move on.

Possible techniques that might improve a shot may include, among other items, cropping, cloning, spotting, or playing with sliders while drinking Guinness. But never stop at step 2 without considering step 3.

Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: William Walker on April 12, 2015, 03:00:25 am
William, this one made me cry.
Hit me right in the solar plexus.

I am reading so much about the negative things happening in RSA at the moment - it breaks my heart.
Your capture that encapsulates such simple beauty and perspective is a timely reminder that perhaps all is not lost and that hope still exists.

Thank you

Tony Jay

Hi Tony

Thank you!

I am inclined to share Jonathan Jansen's view - there are so many people who focus on the negative only - real as their fears may be. He is Vice-Chancellor of Free State University and always worth a read.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/04/10/the-big-read-it-s-not-about-the-statues

Thanks to everyone else for your comments! I appreciate them as always.
William

Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Tony Jay on April 12, 2015, 03:31:49 am
Interesting read.
I like the man's common sense approach.
However, my concern is that common sense is not welcome in the debate in RSA currently.
I fully understand that the silent majority in the country are trying to get on with their lives and build for the future, but they are silent and are not in control in the country right now.

When I hear recent comments from the mouth of Jacob Zuma that the reason that there is a power shortage in RSA in 2015 is because the Nats (prior to 1994) did not plan ahead then that really shakes me. How anyone can take a statement like that seriously is beyond me.
The guy is President after all and has precisely zero credibility.
The issue is not a political one but a managerial one.
I no longer expect any issue in the country to be addressed timeously but instead allowed to grow to unmanageable proportions before any effort is made to even acknowledge it. Solutions I don't see.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: At the end of my street
Post by: Chairman Bill on April 12, 2015, 04:44:10 am
I wouldn't change a thing. A wonderful photo